Trials set in 2 murder cases
Published 11:01 am Friday, May 9, 2014
A Vicksburg father accused of shaking his son to death will stand trial in September, and a 55-year-old accused of pushing an elderly man down a flight of stairs to his death will go to trial in December.
Jamaro South, 24, who lists an address on China Street, was arraigned Friday before Circuit after indictment this week by a Warren County grand jury for murder in the death of his 6-month-old son, Jamaro South Jr.
Police initially identified the infant as Jamaro Carter Jr.
South stood silently and shook his head as if to indicate “no” when Patrick asked him for his plea. His attorney Chris Green spoke up and entered the not guilty plea.
Patrick set trial for Sept. 2.
Police say South shook his son to death on Dec. 13.
Immediately after South stepped away from the judge’s bench, Caleb Erves was arraigned following indictment for depraved heart murder in the death of 70-year-old Emanuel Erves.
Patrick set trial for Caleb Erves, who is represented by McLain Walker, for Dec. 1.
Caleb Erves was in a dispute with Emanuel Erves shortly after midnight Feb. 23 when he pushed the 70-year-old down the stairs of a boarding house on Walnut Street, Vicksburg police Lt. Sandra Williams has said. Williams previously said the two are not related.
Other indictments, including name, age, the charge and arrest or offense date, released this by the District Attorney’s Office following arraignments Thursday include:
• Ronald Deshaun Green, 22, who lives on Washington Street — burglary, Feb. 6.
• Spencer Gabriel Griffin, 24, who lives on Baldwin Ferry Road — burglary as a habitual offender, Feb. 6.
• Debarrea Malone-Smith, 20, who lives on Lee Circle — drive-by shooting as a habitual offender; shooting into a dwelling; to counts of possession of a weapon after felony conviction as a habitual offender, July 10.
• Timothy Jamal McKnight, 24 who lives on Elmwood Street — aggravated assault, armed robbery, Jan. 21.
• Shannon Percy Smith, 30, who lives on South Street — two counts of sale of a controlled substance; Dec. 19.