Fatal crash trial set for November
Published 12:00 am Saturday, August 2, 2014
A Warren County man accused of aggravated driving under the influence in a fatal crash on Washington Street will stand trial in November.
Dakota West, 22, 1270 Jeff Davis Road, stood before Circuit Judge M. James Chaney on Friday and entered a plea of not guilty after indictment this week by a Warren County grand jury for aggravated DUI.
Chaney set trial for Nov. 10.
West, who is represented by David Sessums, is accused of driving under the influence in a May 23 crash at Washington and Bowman streets that killed 26-year-old Krystal Foster. The indictment against West does not list if he is believed to have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
West was behind the wheel of a Lincoln LS when it collided with a Ford Aerostar van near Washington and Bowman streets. Foster was a passenger in the van. The driver of the van was not injured.
Additionally, a Texas man accused of a running an illegal poker game and swindling Warren County businessmen out of thousands of dollars will stand trial in March.
Thomas Stephanis, 73, 10910 Gold Point Drive, Houston, Texas, waived arraignment and did not appear in court Friday after being indicted by a Warren County grand jury for a gaming violation.
Stephanis, who is represented by Jerry Campbell, used aliases to scam businessmen into meeting with him and two Jackson men whom he met at a local casino at multiple hotel conference rooms under the pretense of making a business investment, Sheriff Martin Pace has said.
Once in the room, Stephanis would tell the victims that the person they were supposed to meet with had missed their flight or was stuck in traffic and suggest a friendly poker game.
He would let the businessman wind the first few hands and then started cheating, Pace has said. At least one person was bilked out of more than $10,000.
The two Jackson men were charged with misdemeanor gambling.
Other indictments released Friday after arraignment or waiver of arraignment, including name, address and offense date, include:
• Curtis Lee Anderson, 58, 2513 Ken Karl Ave. — possession of 506 grams of marijuana with intent to distribute, March 27.
• Tremaine Montreal Anderson, 20, 1060 Griff Circle, Port Gibson — rape, Feb. 16.
• Colby Michael Ashley, no age or address available — two counts of burglary of a dwelling; two counts of grand larceny, Feb. 13.
• Charles Angelo Bailey III, 28, 1329 South St. — aggravated domestic assault by strangling, April 26.
• Rashard Deshun Bell, 22, 5409 ½ Gibson Road — larceny of a motor vehicle, April 29.
• William Cody Breland, 18, 228 Whatley Road — vehicle burglary, April 10.
• Karllandys D. Clark, 21, 180 Waltersville Road, Apt. C., possession of more than 0.1 but less than 2 grams of cocaine, June 18.
• Roderick Masun Davis, 30, 1719 Military Ave. — third-offense domestic violence, May 22.
• Joseph Christian Dobbs, 20, 1581 Glass Road — sale of five dosage unites of hydrocodone, May 28.
• Michael Kente Duncan, 19, 107 Whitney Drive, Port Gibson — rape, Feb. 16.
• Tyrone Edison, 53, 40 Dove Road — manufacture of more than 30 grams of marijuana.
• Michael Timothy Gilmore, also known as Michael Timothy Gilmore Blackmore, 41, 591 Dudley Road — two counts of larceny of a motor vehicle, June 24, 2013 and Aug. 1, 2013.
• Glenn Kenneth Goulette III, 26, 107 Warren St. — possession of 1.2 grams of methamphetamine, Jan. 29.
• Misty D. Hall, 31, 895 Grange Hall Road — two counts of felony bad check on a closed account, March 14.
• John Michael Hicks, 2055 Skyfarm Ave. —receiving stolen property, June 28, 2013.
• Thomas Jones, 25, 4720 Roberta Circle — possession of more than 2 but less than 10 grams of cocaine.
• Michael Anthony Kemp, 23, 1429 Weems St. — two counts of DUI, third-offense; May 2 and June 18.
• Mekorshia Nicole McComb, 23, 6060 B, Mississippi 547, Port Gibson — aggravated domestic violence, June 18.
• Marissa Ann Morehead-Greco, 24, 1515 Greenhill Road — possession of methamphetamine in a correctional facility, April 4.
• Susan Saldana Murrah, 43, 1801 Jeff Davis Road — sale of less than 2 grams of methamphetamine, June 2.
• Doff Nicholson, 55, 2006 Ford St — possession of less than 2 grams of cocaine with intent to distribute, Jan. 31.
• Jimmy Dale Reid, 37, 1748 Old Highway 27 — fleeing or eluding law enforcement officers, March 21.
• Johnnie Claudberry Ross, 25, 57 Mat Road, Cary — two counts of sexual assault of a victim younger than 14, March 11.
• Lamont Shappell Turner, 39. 104 Quinola Lane — sale of 0.1 grams of cocaine as a second of subsequent drug offender and as a habitual offender, April 23.
• Steven Roderick Turner, 43, 212 Leland Drive — simple assault of a law enforcement officer, Dec. 4.
• Jarvis Jamal White, 21, 1707 South St. — aggravated assault, March 13.
• John David White, 29, 2409 Cherry St. — two counts of possession of a controlled substance, March 12.
• Shaquayla Dwanta Williams, 22, 2990 Mississippi 3 — embezzlement, Jan. 2 through Feb. 22.
• Danny Yates, 56, 712 Speed St. — sale of 0.1 grams of cocaine, Sept. 19.