Published 12:00 am Friday, September 6, 2002

Services for Ella P. Topps Gibson will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Second Union M.B. Church in Utica. Burial will follow at the church cemetery.

Visitation will be from 5 until 7 tonight at Williams Funeral Service.

Ms. Gibson died Monday, Sept. 2, 2002, at River Region Medical Center. She was 87.

Ms. Gibson was formerly employed with Bareboro Navy Hospital in San Diego, Calif., and as a domestic worker. She was a member of Second Union M.B. Church in Utica.

She was preceded in death by her parents, Willie and Annie Gibson; two brothers, Porter Gibson and Anthony Gibson; a son, Alfred Lee Henderson; her husband, Oliver Henderson; and a sister, Mary Brown.

Survivors include a son, Oliver Henderson Jr. of Tacoma, Wash.; two daughters, June Squire and Claudia Herrington, both of Vicksburg; four grandchildren; and great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren and other relatives.


Henry C. Major died Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2002, at River Region Medical Center. He was 77.

Mr. Major was a native of Jonesville, La. A veteran of the Army, he served in World War II. He retired in 1981 as a pipefitter for the Vicksburg Water and Gas Department after 35 years of service. He was of the Baptist faith.

He was preceded in death by three sisters and a brother.

Survivors include his wife, Pauline Green Major; four sons, Charles Donnell Major, Tony Earl Major and Darren Maurice Major, all of Vicksburg, and Terry Lorenzo Major of Orlando, Fla.; two daughters, Angela Denise Hampton of Port Gibson and Debra Ann Carmichael of Orlando; and seven grandchildren and other relatives.

Robbins Funeral Home has charge of arrangements.


ROLLING FORK Earnest McCoy died Friday, Aug. 30, 2002, at Sharkey-Issaquena Hospital in Rolling Fork. He was 49.

Mr. McCoy was a stock man at Wal-Mart in Vicksburg.

Survivors include his wife, Mildred McCoy of Rolling Fork; his mother, Addie McCoy of Rolling Fork; sons, Brinn Williams of Atlanta, Ga., and Carl Whatley of Cary, two brothers, Louise McCoy and Otis McCoy, both of Rolling Fork; and three grandchildren.

Services will be at noon Saturday at Mount Lula M.B. Church in Rolling Fork. Burial will be at Cynthia Dinna Cemetery in Anguilla under the direction of Mitchell Walker Funeral Home.

Visitation will be from 6 until 7 tonight at the funeral home.


Matt Nussbaum died Thursday, Sept. 5, 2002, at his home in Bovina. He was 68.

Mr. Nussbaum was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., and had lived in Vicksburg since 1966. He worked as a locomotive engineer for Illinois Central Railroad and Mid-South Corp., retiring in 1988 after 34 years of service.

A veteran of the Navy, he served in the Korean Conflict. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Southwestern Live Steamers, Annetta Valley Western Railroad Club and the Illinois Central and KCS Historical Society.

Mr. Nussbaum was a member of St. Michael Catholic Church.

He is survived by his wife, Eugenia “Genie” Nussbaum of Vicksburg; one son, Matthew S. “Mick” Nussbaum of Meridian; one daughter, Judith Nussbaum Turnage of Utica; and two grandchildren, Steve Nussbaum and Joe Nussbaum, both of Meridian.

A memorial gathering will be at 3 p.m. Saturday at the family home in Bovina.

Memorials may be made to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis.

Glenwood Funeral Home has charge of arrangements.


CARY Willie Nelson Saint died Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2002, at River Region Medical Center. He was 101.

Survivors include two sons, Robert Saint Sr. of Cary and Carl Whatley of Cary; two daughters, Annie Tankson of Florida and Velma Nailor of New York; a sister Racheal Neal of Vicksburg; four grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Services will be at 1 p.m. Sunday at Guiding Star M.B. Church in Cary with burial at St. James Cemetery in Fitler under the direction of Walker Funeral Home.

Visitation will be from 5 until 6 p.m. Saturday at the funeral home.