AUGUST 23, 2009

Published 12:00 am Sunday, August 23, 2009

In this 1905 photo by J. Mack Moore, the Carroll Hotel stood at southwest corner of Walnut and Clay streets. It was renamed the Jefferson Davis Hotel before it was torn down in the 1960s. Today, a parking garage for Trustmark National Bank is on the site.

Historic photos taken in and around Vicksburg are featured on Sundays in The Vicksburg Post. Many of the photos are from the J. Mack Moore Collection at the Old Court House Museum. Though not all photos were taken by Mr. Moore, they are part of the collection given to the museum by longtime Vicksburg Post managing editor Charles J. Faulk. Appropriate photos from the public will also be accepted and published. To submit a photo, contact Karen Gamble at 636-4545.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month