Deadline to file taxes set for Tuesday
Tax day is traditionally April 15. Not this year.
This year, tax day falls on Tuesday, April 18 and without a doubt, there will be those making a made dash for the post office to get their returns postmarked before time expires.
While some post offices in the state are staying up much later, with some offering drop off service as late as midnight Tuesday, Vicksburg’s post office is affording you an additional 30 minutes to beat the rush and deadline.
The Vicksburg Post Office, located at 3415 Pemberton Square Blvd., will close at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.
The IRS accepts the First-Class postmark as proof of filing by April 18. The Postal Service provides these tips for income tax filers mailing returns:
- If filing on April 18, mail early in the day at any Post Office. Be sure to verify Post Office hours of operation.
- If depositing returns in a collection box on April 18, double-check the pick-up schedule on the collection box.
- To ensure getting the April 18 postmark, deposit returns before the last scheduled pick-up time.
- Affix the correct postage. Some returns include many forms and require additional postage. IRS does not pay postage due and will return items to sender.
- One ounce for letter size returns is 49 cents for stamp postage, 46 cents for metered postage. The second and third ounces are an additional 21 cents for each ounce, regardless of postage type. Large envelopes or letters weighing over 3.5 ounces are subject to an oversize rate of 98 cents for one ounce and 21 cents per additional ounce.
- When possible, use the envelope provided by the IRS and be sure to include a return address. If the envelope provided by the IRS is unavailable, be sure to verify the IRS address where returns should be mailed.