Judge delays bond hearing for murder suspect

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, October 31, 2000

A mental stability report could determine if a Vicksburg man in jail since July will be eligible for release on bond.

Jackson attorney Bill Kirksey asked that his client, 54-year-old Anthony Green, have a bond set. Green faces trial in the death of his wife, stabbed 11 times.

Circuit Court Judge Frank Vollor said Monday morning that he wanted the report before making a decision.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Green’s wife of five months, Debora Johnson Green, who was 31, was found dead July 27 at 1910 Sky Farm Ave., the home she shared with her husband and three children.

Kirksey asked Detective Sgt. Doug King of the Vicksburg Police Department if a determination could be made as to what started the fight that left Debora Green dead and her husband injured.

“I have an opinion, but there is no evidence to suggest who started the fight,” King, the primary investigator on the case said. “She had 11 stab wounds, two of which were through the heart.”

King said he interviewed Green while he was being treated for stab wounds at a Jackson hospital.

“After I turned the tape recorder off, he said what happened to his wife was his fault,” King said.

Kirksey called several witnesses to vouch for Green’s character, including former Warren County Justice Court Judge Mabel Peterson.

“I have known him since he came to Vicksburg in 1996 to take care of his aunt,” Peterson said. “No, I don’t believe he would leave the area if freed.”

Assistant District Attorney John Bullard said the victim’s family and the state are opposed to any bond being granted.

“Mr. Green has relatives in California, so you can’t assume he won’t flee the area if he is released,” Bullard said.

Green was indicted on murder charges by the grand jury Oct. 18. He has pleaded innocent.