Family says it will sue over police shooting

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, November 28, 2000

TALLULAH The family of a Tallulah man killed by police serving an arrest warrant on Thanksgiving Day said Monday they plan to take legal action against the city.

Melvin Guy, 23, was shot once in the back as he was fleeing the Madison Community Apartments, 100 Tank St., when six Tallulah officers and two Madison Parish sheriff’s deputies arrived to arrest him on a warrant about 6:30 a.m., state police said last week.

Guy’s father, Johnnie Bolden, said Monday afternoon that his family plans to take legal action against the city. But he and Guy’s mother refused to discuss the case.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

“We aren’t going to talk about the shooting right now,” Bolden said.

State police, who are the investigators in the case because it involves both local agencies, could not be reached for comment.

But Tallulah Police Assistant Chief Lee Brandly said the investigation into the death of Guy is ongoing.

“We aren’t making any comment about the case at this time because the state police are still looking into everything,” he said.

Madison Parish Coroner Dr. Tommy Neumann, who said this morning that results of an autopsy in Jackson were not complete, said Guy was shot with a 12-gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot. He said he died at Madison Parish Hospital about an hour after the shooting.

The state police and Madison and Tallulah law enforcement officers have refused to say if Guy was armed when he was shot.

Guy was wanted on charges of resisting police, indecent behavior with a juvenile, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and assault and battery.

In June, the warrant being served on Guy was issued after a judge revoked a $19,000 bond Guy had paid on a charge of simple escape from the Madison Parish Jail and ordered Guy’s re-arrest.