Flashes win 5th in a row

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 6, 2000

Shirley Agostinelli has been a soccer coach at St. Aloysius for 10 years, but she had never seen a team play a flawless game. Until Tuesday night, that is.

Michael Head scored two goals and Beau Theobald assisted on one and scored one late in the second half as St. Al (5-1, 1-0 in division) dominated St. Andrew’s, 3-1, for their fifth straight win.

St. Al controlled the flow for most of the game and allowed only three shots on goal in the second half, eight total for the game.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

“This is the best all-around team play that I’ve seen in St. Al soccer,” said Agostinelli, who has the Flashes off to their best start during her tenure as coach. “I told them we needed to jell, and I think this was the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. They all jelled together tonight.”

St. Al got on the board first when Head took a pass from Joe Theobald, juked a defender about 15 yards from the net and blasted a shot past St. Andrew’s goalkeeper Derek Gleason for a 1-0 lead 17 minutes in.

Rashard Johnson evened it up for St. Andrew’s (4-3, 0-1) six minutes later on a breakaway down the right sideline, but Head put the Flashes back in front at the 32:30 mark when Beau Theobald fed him a cross from the left side of the goal and Head knocked the ball into an empty net.

“It was a nice cross. Very nice,” Head said. “He made it easy for me.”

The Flashes kept the tenuous 2-1 lead through much of the second half as the teams traded scoring chances. Andy Gough made several nice saves for St. Al.

Several St. Al shots went high or just wide, and Head missed a hat trick in the first half when he hit the post on a penalty kick.

The Flashes gave themselves a cushion at the 27-minute mark of the second half when Michael Strickland lifted a pass over two St. Andrew’s defenders to hit Beau Theobald on the run in middle of the field.

Theobald got a step on the defenders and beat Gleason high to the right corner of the net to give St. Al a 3-1 lead.

The Flashes’ defense took over from there. St. Andrew’s pressured on the offensive end, but struggled to get the ball deep into St. Al territory and managed only one shot the rest of the way.

“Everybody seemed to be not playing up to their capability,” St. Andrew’s coach William King said. “I thought we played better in the second half, but it just never came together for us.”