Metcalf says he’ll return for 5th year at Ole Miss

Published 12:00 am Thursday, December 14, 2000

Terrence Metcalf told Ole Miss coaches that he will return for a fifth year instead of opting for the NFL draft in April.

“That is something I wanted to put behind me,” Metcalf told The Clarion-Ledger. “It’s too big a decision to always think about.”

The 6-foot-3, 305-pound Clarksdale native was in the recruiting class with Deuce McAllister, Romaro Miller and Ken Lucas. Metcalf redshirted in 1998 after dislocating his ankle.

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletter

Receive daily headlines and obituaries

After starting his career as a guard, he wants to polish his skills at left tackle, where he was moved this year. He made a successful transition, earning a spot on the coaches’ first-team All-Southeastern Conference team as left tackle.

Metcalf said that he got advice from Todd Wade and Tutan Reyes, Rebel tackles last year who have moved on to the NFL.

“Playing guard was always my first love,” Metcalf said. “But when the team needed me to play tackle, I just accepted it. I had to do that to help the team.”

He helped the team to a 7-4 finish and a berth in the Music City Bowl against West Virginia on Dec. 28.

“I’m really looking forward to a big performance from our offensive line in the bowl game,” Metcalf said.