• 34°

Burned out

Vicksburg FireFighter Willie Holt, in photo below, pulls out a charred mattress as firefighter Mike Piazza pulls a water hose from the home of George Chung, 1311 Jefferson St., after it caught on fire Friday about 2 p.m. Chung said he fell asleep with a cigarette in his hand which apparently caused the blaze, authorities said. Most of the clothing and furniture in the home were burned in the blaze. Above, Chung looks to the ground after seeing the remains of his home. With him are his sister, Kathy Singleton Green, and niece Xenia Green. Any donations can be made by calling 629-9001. (The Vicksburg Post/MELANIE DUNCAN)