VWSD to allow devices in classrooms
Published 11:00 am Friday, January 31, 2014
The Vicksburg Warren School District’s policy on smartphones and tablets will change to allow students to use personal devices for educational purposes.
The VWSD Board of Trustees voted 5-0 Thursday night to allow a “bring your own device,” or BYOD, policy.
“BYOD allows us to be able to match our policy with some other districts nearby,” said Chad Shealy, district superintendent. “We’ll be looking at some opportunities with that.”
Trustees didn’t specify when the policy would start.
In recent years, school districts in Rankin and Madison counties began allowing students to use devices in class for educational purposes.
Teachers will be able to instruct students to use their smartphones or tablets during the educational process, such as looking up the definition of words the students do not know.
“I agree 110 percent with this,” said District 1 Trustee Bryan Pratt.
The board also authorized Lum Wright Jr., the district’s athletic director, to begin taking quotes for scoreboards for both Vicksburg and Warren Central high schools.
“How old is the scoreboard at Vicksburg and how old is the scoreboard at Warren Central?,” asked District 3 Trustee Jim Stirgus Jr.
“Both boards are outdated,” Wright said. “Warren Central’s board is a 1985 one and Vicksburg is either from 1983 or 1984.”
Stirgus acknowledged problems with the VHS board and asked what were the issues with Warren Central’s.
“If the scoreboard goes out again, we will not be able to fix it,” Wright said. “We are out of parts.”
On the agenda
Meeting Thursday, the Vicksburg Warren School District Board of Trustees:
• Heard from principal Deowarski McDonald the steps taken at Vicksburg High School to meet the Mississippi Department of Education’s plan for action to raise the school’s academic rating.
• Approved a standardized evaluation process for administrative staff.
• Recognized Bovina Elementary School for collecting the most money during the Penny Harves, a fundraiser for the Warren County Children’s Shelter.
• Approved the minutes for the regular meeting on Dec. 12 and the special-called meeting Jan. 14.
• Accepted donations to Dana Road Elementary, Vicksburg High School, Warren Central High School, Warren Central Junior High School, Vicksburg Junior High School, Sherman Avenue Elementary, South Park Elementary and Beechwood Elementary.
• Approved amendments to the 2013-14 budget.
• Approved the accounts payable claims docket for January.
• Approved out-of-state travel for several administrative staff memebers.
• Approved the sale of 16th-section land timber.
• Approved an educational partnership with the Engineering and Research Development Center.
• Approved compensation for extra duties for December 2013.
• Approved certified and classified employee recommendations, tutor recommendations and certified resignations.