School By School • 021614
Published 12:00 pm Sunday, February 16, 2014
• Bernard Powell, with the Kansas City Southern RailRoad, presented “Operation Lifesaver” for all students during Child Safety Awareness Week”. Students learned railroad safety and received coloring books and bookmarks.
• The following students “Read to the Principal”: Christopher Haney, Lydia Harrington, Sydney Hern, Melissa Herle and Clark Hobson
• Pledge Captains were Kayla Burnham, Christopher Wilkinson, Jamal Lee, Steed Springfield and Nykeria Shelton
• Students in Diane Liddell’s First Grade class symbolically adopted a polar bear through the World Wildlife Fund. Their donation will help to protect this amazing species and their habitats.
• Accelerated Reader top readers were: Dean Andrews, Abigail Dejesus, Alexis Ables, James Cole, Emory Broadfood, Austin Moore, Avery VanNorman, Sydney Hern, Matthew Fox, Colton House, Laken Wilder, Ryan Hadley Grey, Baylie Townsend, Katelyn Clark, Jonathan Busby, Kei’Mya Walton, Cade Fairley, Ladarius McCloud, Allison Blackmon, Lauren Kilroy, Annemarie Jeffers, Meridith Cole, Devin Thigpen, Charli Van Norman,Destiny Mace, Jaiden Odom, Payton Feagin, Will Watts, Jane Ranager, Lendsi Jones, Brandon Gilliam, Mary Katherine Archer, Rosemarie Thuha, Neil Sanipara, Michael Dejesus, Aaron Fox, Sam Dixon, Madison Embry, Kameron Jones, Brandon Buxton, Tommy Martin, Ryan Thompson, Gabriel Katzenmeyer and Haleigh Erwin.
• The students at Jacob’s Ladder went to the YMCA Tuesday to work on skills for Special Olympics. Sharon Andrews worked on bocce and softball throwing skills with the students.
• We made cupcakes to take to the residents of Vicksburg Convalescent Home for Valentine’s Day.
• The students made Valentine’s Day crafts and exchanged goodies at school for Valentine’s Day.
• Thank you to Randy Rippy for de-icing and salting our ramp at the school after the bad weather we had. Your thoughtfulness is much appreciated!
Sherman Avenue Elementary School
• Box-top winners for the week were Kwajah Gipson, Damarcus Odom, Fabian Burks, Ra’Nyiah Green, Samuel Ross, Veonna Sellers, Hunter Wilson, Katlyne McBroom, Charlie Hamby, Lilly Goodnight, Kenyon Winters, Tamiya Powell, Jannah Archer, Elan Lyons, Ra’Nyia Powell, Taylor Wilson, Nigeria Ojeamiran, Simmaya Worsley, Caleb Lane, Nalaysia Guise, Fredasia Harris, Ashley Bowser, Aiden Parker, Sebastian Koeppel, Gabriel Taylor, Devon O’Neal and Naaveah Hall.
• Puppy Buck winners were Jordan Tillman, Mack Bell, Derriona Butler, Marlasia Howard, Albernitra Reynolds, Waseem Altuwaiti, Danasia Claiborne and Trevon Sanders.
• Family Math Night has been re-scheduled for March 20 at 5 p.m.
• Students graduating from the Academy of Math were Charlie Appleton, Alexis Banks, Zariyah Jones, Sadie Scallions, Crystal Slaughter, Al’Traveon White and Jaiden Williams.
• A huge congratulation to first-place winners Amiyah Montgomery and Kyra Pritchard, and 3rd place winner Mainza Houston for their placement at the VWSD district reading fair. These students will advance on to the regional reading fair in March. Sherman Avenue also recognizes Karleigh Suell and Deanna Adkins for their work in the excellence in reading competition.
Vicksburg Catholic School
• Second and third-graders who met BOOK IT! goals for January were Gael Angel, Bellamy Bailey, Ali Blackburn, Brody Breithaupt, Morgan Breithaupt, Jake Brister, Nancy Clement, Steven Clement, McKenzie Cole, Skylar Connelly, Zac Cowart, Hampton Derivaux, Thomas Dowe, Will Dowe, Christian Harris, Karly Henderson, Connor Johnston, Sarah Beth Johnston, Kylan Jordan, Will Keen, Walker Lambiotte, Luke Larson, John David Liggett, Daniel Llopis, Kade Lott, Madeline Mathews, Jack McBride, Macy McDonald, Abby Mikulski, Linley Miles, Eliot Norris, Austin Norwood, Astha Patel, Kishna Patel, Shan Patel, Damien Reeves, Madelyn Roesch, Barrett Shows, Kate Simrall, Clara Smith, Natalie Southerland, Emma Strelzoff, Canada Stewart, Mari Miller Theobald, Ismael Thompson-Trujillo, Christine Wallace, David Wallace and Travis Webb.
Warren Central High
• The fine arts department of WCHS will present Shrek the Musical Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. and March 1 at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. in the WC auditorium. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased from Nancy Robertson, the choir director, or any cast member.
• Students caught doing something good are Taylor Pace, Catherine Abernathy, Robert Lee, Mykia Tolliver, Malcolm Davis, Christa Turner, Mackenzie Keller, Carly Pitzer and Sidney Smith.
• Staff members of the week are Patty Godfrey and Matt Gullett.