Local students win honors at state science fair
Published 12:00 am Sunday, March 30, 2014
Twenty-two local students placed in the top six of their respective divisions at the Region II elementary science fair held two weeks ago at Jackson State University.
Students participating had to win their overall school fair to attend the regional fair. Winners at the regional fair are guaranteed a spot in the state competition held in April at the University of Southern Mississippi.
The fair is divided by lower elementary school — students in first, second and third grades — and upper elementary school for fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders.
Warren County students who placed in the lower fair (first, second and third grades) are:
• Bovina — Lane Gordon, sixth place, zoology
• Bowmar — Mateo Byrd, first place, earth, space and environmental sciences Meredith Cole, first place, zoology; Ashley Moore, first place, microbiology; Michael Green, third place, physics; Payton James, third place, earth, space and environmental sciences; Wesley Bailess, fourth place; behavioral and social sciences; Claire Ellison, fourth place, zoology; Devin Thigpen, fourth place, engineering, computers and math and Donovan Blue, sixth place, microbiology
• Dana Road — Christopher Clarke, third place, zoology; Lonni Johnson, third place, engineering, computers and math; Jakaylan Woods, fifth place, botany and Jahnzia Hicks, sixth place, biochemistry
• St. Francis — Austin Norwood, first place, physics
Sherman Avenue — Brandon Snowden, fifth place, microbiology
• South Park — Alex Rowe, first place, engineering, computers and math.
Warren County students who placed in the lower fair (fourth, fifth and sixth grades) are:
• Beechwood — Robert Fleming, third place, botany
• Bowmar — Brandon Gilliam, third place, earth, space and environmental sciences; Tyler Smith, third place, engineering, computers and math; and Sarah Prescott, fourth place, zoology
• St. Francis — Coleman Verhine, first place, zoology