Two say guilty in Ke’Marvin Stamps’ killing

Published 11:30 am Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Vicksburg man will spend five years in prison for his role in the shooting death of a Vicksburg High student, and one of his six co-defendants will be sentenced Friday.

Christopher Jones, 19, has been sentenced to five years in prison for accessory after the fact to second-degree murder in the killing of 17-year-old Ke’Marvin Stamps, according to a sentencing order released Monday by the District Attorney’s Office.

Devontae Montgomery has also pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact and will be sentenced at 10 a.m. Friday before Circuit Judge M. James Chaney, District Attorney Ricky Smith said.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

The case against five other defendants —  Melvin Wiggins, De’Mario Mixon, Marquis Black, Romaire Brown, also known as Romeo Mixon and Tyler Jones — is still open.

Ke’Marvin was shot and killed March 15, 2013, as he and another teen were walking in the 4900 block of Gibson Road.

All seven teens accused in the killing were in Wiggins’ Dodge truck the night Stamps was shot and killed.

Christopher Jones told deputies that the teens loaded into Wiggins’ truck with four guns to go to Autumn Oak Townhouses, 4920 Halls Ferry Road, in retaliation for a drive-by shooting at Mixon’s home on Locust Street.

Once at the townhouses, a group in another truck chased the teens, Christopher Jones told deputies. After Wiggins’ truck turned onto Gibson Road, one of them spotted Ke’Marvin and another teen walking and yelled to shoot them.

It appeared from statements given to Warren County investigators that the teens did not know Ke’Marvin.

Stamps was shot once in the head with a .22-caliber bullet. Initially De’Mario Mixon took the blame for the shooting, saying that he had fired a .45-caliber round that hit Ke’Marvin, however, investigators wrote that he became uncooperative when told that a .22-caliber bullet was the fatal shot.

Several of the teens said Romarie Brown fired the fatal shot, but Brown insisted that Tyler Jones fired the fatal shot.