Wiggins gets five years in killing

Published 11:28 am Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The driver of the truck used in a drive-by shooting that killed a Vicksburg High School student will spend five years in prison.

Melvin Wiggins, 21, pleaded guilty Monday to accessory after the fact to second-degree murder and was sentenced by Circuit Judge M. James Chaney to five years in prison.

Wiggins, who is represented by Kim Nailor, also must pay a $1,000 fine and court costs.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

He is the third person to plead guilty in the past few weeks in the death of 17-year-old Ke’Marvin Stamps.

Christopher Devon Jones, 20 and Devontae Montgomery, 19, have both pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact to second-degree murder and were each sentenced to five years in prison.

The cases against four other defendants — De’Mario Mixon, Marquis Black, Romaire Brown, also known as Romeo Mixon and Tyler Jones — are still open.

The seven defendants were all in Wiggins’ truck on March 15, 2013 when Mixon and Brown opened fire on Ke’Marvin and his brother as they were walking in the 4900 block of Gibson Road, District Attorney Ricky Smith said.

After the shooting Wiggins hid his truck for several days, Smith said.

“He did that all in an effort to aid Marquis Black and Romaire Brown, knowing that they had committed murder,” Smith said.

The defendants initially loaded into Wiggins’ truck with four guns to go to Autumn Oaks Townhouses, 4920 Halls Ferry Road, in planned retaliation for a drive-by shooting at Mixon’s home on Locust Street.

At the townhouses, they were in an altercation with another group of young men in a truck, but no one was injured. Wiggins drove south on Halls Ferry Road before turning North on Greenbriar drive and east on Gibson Road.

On Gibson Road, they saw Ke’Marvin and his brother walking and one of the teens in the truck yelled to open fire. Sheriff’s department records indicated that they did not know Ke’Marvin.

Wiggins told deputies that Mixon and Brown opened fire.

“Romaire Brown stated that he was the person who shot the .22-caliber pistol, and Marquis Black stated that he shot the .40-caliber weapon,” Smith said.

Autopsy results show that Ke’Marvin was shot in the head with a .22-caliber bullet. A 40-caliber bullet was found in a tree embedded in a tree behind him, Smith said.