Mixon pleads guilty in two shootings

Published 11:00 am Friday, September 12, 2014

A Vicksburg man will spend 10 years in prison for his role in two shootings, one of which resulted in the death of a Vicksburg High student.

Demario Mixon, 20, 911 Locust St., pleaded guilty last week to drive-by shooting and accessory after the fact to second-degree murder, according to a sentencing order released this week by the District Attorney’s Office.

Circuit Judge Isadore Patrick sentenced Mixon to 10 years in prison followed by five years’ probation. Mixon must also pay a $1,000 fine and court costs. He was also ordered to earn a GED certificate while incarcerated.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Mixon is the fourth person to plead guilty to accessory after the fact in the death of 17-year-old Ke’Marvin Stamps.

Christopher Devon Jones, 20, Devontae Montgomery, 19, and Melvin Wiggins have all pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact to second-degree murder and were each sentenced to five years in prison.

The cases against three other defendants — Marquis Black, Romaire Brown and Tyler Jones — are still open.

The seven defendants were all in Wiggins’ truck on March 15, 2013 when Demario Mixon and Brown opened fire on Ke’Marvin and his brother as they were walking in the 4900 block of Gibson Road. Mixon initially confessed that he fired the shot that killed Ke’Marvin with a .45-caliber pistol.

Evidence from the state crime lab shows that a-.22-caliber bullet killed Ke’Marvin, according to court records.

Brown has said that he fired the .22-caliber pistol, District Attorney Ricky Smith has said.

The drive-by shooting Mixon pleaded guilty to occurred across the street from Vicksburg High School.

Mixon shot several times into a Honda Pilot near Stadium Drive and Drummond Street on Aug. 19, 2012, according to court records.

Seven people were in the vehicle at the time of the shooting, and one of the passengers told police that Mixon had previously been in a fight with another passenger, according to an interview transcript.

Mixon surrendered the next day, but declined to be interviewed by police.

He posted $250,000 bail and was released from the Warren County Jail until his arrest Stamps’ death.