School by School
Published 11:50 pm Saturday, December 13, 2014
Bovina Elementary School
• Our Bovina Giant leaders last week were Dowe McGowan, Dakota Cook, Emma Watson, Kaitlyn Holman, Katrina Wesley, Quenterria Wince, Colby Solomon, Charlie Carson, Denise Williams, Devinn Evans, Brandon Parker, Jadon Hughes, Dylan Solomon, Madison Smith, Tavon Cain, Chloe Barnard, Bo Campbell, Cordayzsha Gleese, Alexia Gray, Gloria Hall, Addison Leach and Rylan Liles.
• Our Bovina bucks leaders last week were Mrs. Mixon’s second grade class and Mrs. Figures’ fourth grade class. Our November BoxTop winners were Mrs. Harvey’s kindergarten class and Mrs. Figures’ fourth grade class.
• We are so proud for all the effort that went into making our November service project a great success. Our November service project was Operation Christmas Child. We shipped 145 boxes and raised $211.00 for shipping. One of our Bovina families donated $300.00 more to help with the cost of shipping. Mrs. Cochran’s second grade class brought in the most items.
• We would like to thank Beth Butler, Debra Thurman, Katherine Walker, Nancy Ballard, Royece Cox, Jennifer Sluis, Margaret Caldwell and Linda Harrod for coming and judging our reading fair boards.
• We are proud of our first graders for a great performance for the Christmas Caroling Contest. We are also proud of Radyn Horton and Rahamatu Blake for their solo performances in the contest.
• Our leaders of the week from each class were Josee Poole, Payton Smith, Cody Wells, Alan Stauts, John Ellis Montgomery, Sam Hall, Preston Pittman, Ciara Campbell, Kaleigh Mitchell, Jondarius Ward, Zion Nixon, Audrey Ezell, Will Fischer and Devan Fischer.
Division A Fiction Individual Kindergarten: 1st Place, Landry Leach- Mrs. Harvey’s Class; 2nd Place, Jackson Rainer- Mrs. Harvey’s Class; 3rd Place Imani Blake – Mrs. McBride’s Class.
Division B Fiction Individual Grade 1: 1st Place, Joshua Goodwin- Mrs. McCain’s Class; 2nd Place, Bailey Rebert- Mrs. McCain’s Class; 3rd Place, K’Bari Ratliff- Mrs. Gordon’s Class.
Division C Fiction Individual Grade 2: 1st Place, Dalton Windham- Mrs. Cochran’s Class; 2nd Place, Indigo Stockton- Mrs. Mixon’s Class; 3rd Place Mylie Nelson- Mrs. Cochran’s Class.
Division D Fiction Individual Grade 3: 1st Place, Alexander Hearn- Miss Alexander’s Class; 2nd Place, Musa Blake- Miss Alexander’s Class; 3rd Place Micheal Berger- Miss Alexander’s Class.
Division E Individual Fiction Grades 4-5: 1st Place, Rahamatu Blake- Mrs.Kitchen’s Class; 2nd Place, Mason Harvey- Mrs. Campbell’s Class; 3rd Place, Kaylee Johnson- Mrs. Kitchen’s Class.
Division F Individual Fiction Grade 6: 1st Place, Dylan Lick- Mrs. Shelton; 2nd Place, Yasmine Nekkab- Mrs. McGowan’s Class; 3rd Place, Ibrahim Blake-Mrs. Shelton.
Division H Individual Non-Fiction Grades 3-5: 1st Place, Jadon Hughes- Miss Sullian; 2nd Place, Grace Windham- Mrs. Hughes; 3rd Place, Johnathan Wells – Mrs. Campbell.
Division K Group/Family Fiction Grades K-2nd: 1st Place, Blake Hern- Mrs. Gordon’s Class; 2nd Place, Jase Coon- Mrs. Cochran’s Class; 3rd Place, Summer Mocknick- Mrs. Cochran’s Class.
Division L Fiction Family/Group Grades 3-5: Mrs. Bethany’s Class
Over All Winner Grades K-2: Blake Hern
Over All Winner Grades 3-6: Rahamatu Blake
Bowmar Elementary School
• Ali Hopson spoke to the 5th and 6th graders about the importance of food choices and sugar content in bottled drinks. This followed a unit on nutrition.
• Christmas Sing A-Long will be on Friday at 9 a.m.
• Accelerated Reader Top Readers: Walt Andrews, Heer Patel, Tulio Figarola, Coltin Hancock, April Herrle, Abigail Dejesus, Madisyn Blackmon, Emma Scott, Alexis Ables, Thomas Kilroy, Abigail Mandarino, Olivia Mandarino, Ryan Hadley Grey, Eleanor Broadfoot, Eric Gilliam, Matthew Fox, Avery VanNorman, Baylie Townsend, Katelyn Clark, Precious Drayton, Caden Outlaw, Katie Wallace, Campbell McCoy, Jonathan Henderson, Mira Patel, Audrey Jennings, Mateo Byrd, Hope Pownall, Taylor Stamps, Sha’Kyria Allen, Adan Byrd, Allie Boland, William Barnum, Brandon Gilliam, Will Watts, Destini Sims, Rosemarie Thuha, Shreya Surti, Ashley Gatchell, Aaron Fox and Laurence Sullivan
• The students at Jacob’s Ladder would like to say a big thank you to all who came to The Beechwood on Thursday night for the live auction fundraiser. Over $24,000 was raised to benefit Jacob’s Ladder and Rainbow Farms.
• On Sunday our students went to The Beechwood for a Christmas lunch and to see Santa ride in on a fire truck. We had a great time and the food was delicious.
• We all went grocery shopping at Kroger on Monday.
• Matthew Grogan is the student of the week.
Email newsletter signup
Porters Chapel Academy
• Eager Eagle of the week in the first grade class of Rebecca Pace was Noah Jones. Students are studying insects as part of a unit of study on animals. The students performed a reader’s theatre with the story “Did You See Chip?” Students participating in the Christmas Caroling Contest at the Vicksburg Convention Center were Alyssa Kyzar, Mercedes Lancaster, Angel Lee-Kelley, Emmy Mauldin, Garrett Reeves, and Kendall Smith
• Porters Chapel recognized these students for their good behavior and their good grades:
• Mrs. Pace’s First grade class: Kendall Smith, Mrs. Stinson’s Second grade class: Ashtin Wallace, Mrs. Angel’s third grade class: Sarah Felker, Mrs. Bennett’s fourth grade class: Lyndsey Wigley, Mrs. King’s fifth grade class: Preston Lynch, mr. King’s sixth grade class: Gunner Hutchins.
Sherman Avenue Elementary School
• Sherman Avenue presented its’ annual Christmas program last week, “A Sherman Avenue Christmas!” Thank you to all parents and family that came out to support our singers! It was standing room only and a great performance by the children!
• Congratulations Haley Steele! You have been selected to be in the SAE Ivy League. You have proven to be R.I.C.H. Your have these great traits: respectfulness, impulse control, compassion, and humbleness. We are so proud of you As a member of the elite SAE Ivy League you receive an awesome surprise from The Ivy Place Florist and a great goodie bag. Keep up the great work!
• Puppy Buck Winners for last week were: Lauren Stamps, Mia Jones, Will Bates, Raymon Clark, Khaedyn Benson, Gerarslynn Hicks, Collin Johnson, and Andrasia Davis.
• Faculty/staff members Mrs. Dixie Henry, Mrs. Felicia Chriss, Mrs. Perlina Clark, and Mrs. Angela Cox were “thrown fish” for the week, in recognition of their behavior that best exemplified the Fish! Philosophies of play, make their day, be there, and choose your attitude.
• Puppy Buck Winners for this week were: Bryson Corington, Colby WIlliams, Leroy Lindsey, Luke Bond, Justin Williams, Alana Jackson, Tremaine Dorsey, Allan Oliver, Taniya Hayles.
South Park Elementary School
• South Park Elementary Spelling Bee Participates:
4th Grade: Malik Polk- Mrs. Carter; Tyler Hubbard- Mrs. Sullivan
5th Grade: Peyton Sikes-Mrs. Fender; Ja’Michael Jones-Mr. Gordon; Jaylyn Davis- Mrs. Patterson
6th Grade: Chandler Jones- Mrs. McMullin (RUNNER-UP); Hope Hudson- Mrs. Burks; Taylor Jennings- Mrs. Johnson (WINNER)
• South Park Elementary Reading Fair 2014-15
Division A Fiction Individual Kindergarten:
1st Place- Jaiden Thomas –Mrs. Donaghe; 2nd Place- Aiden Flowers- Mrs. Powers; 3rd Place- Ayden Ivy- Mrs. Powers.
Division B Fiction Individual 1st Grade: 1st Place-Lance Stokes- Mrs. Currie; 2nd Place-Brooke Turner- Mrs. Currie; 3rd Place- Connor Pickle- Mrs. Currie
Division C Fiction Individual 2nd Grade: 1st Place- Spencer Smith- Mrs. Jenkins; 2nd Place- Trenton Davis- Mrs. Corbin; 3rd Place- Ella Walker- Mrs. Corbin
Division K Fiction Group/Family Pre-K-2nd Grade: 1st Place- Xavier Williams- Mrs. Corbin; 2nd Place- Amber Currie- Mrs. Corbin.
Overall Winner/ Best In Show Grades K-2nd: Spencer Smith
Division D- Fiction -3rd Grades Individuals: 1st Place- Keyanna Echoles- Mrs. Fraysier; 2nd Place- Tabreia Davis- Mrs. Anderson, 3rd Place- Ja’Marreon Rawls- Mrs. Fraysier.
Division E- Fiction 4th-5th Grades Individual: 1st Place- Sarah Copes- Mrs. Patterson; 2nd Place- Seth Sterling- Mrs. Carter; 3rd Place – Gracie DeLaughter.
Division F- Fiction 6th Grade Individual: 1st Place- Aaron Waldrep- Mrs. McMullin; 2nd Place-Samantha Smith- Mrs. Burks; 3rd Place- Jeanine Trest- Mrs. McMullin
Dividsion H- Non-Fiction 3rd-5th Grade Individual: 1st Place- Will Thomas- Mrs. Sullivan; 2nd Place-Malik Polk- Mrs. Carter; 3rd Place- Hawkins Holloway – Mr. Gordon.
Division I- Non-Fiction 6th Grade Individual: 1st Place- Peyton McKenzie-Mrs. McMullin; 2nd Place- Jerry Jones-Mrs. Burkes.
Overall Fair Winner/Best In Show for K-2nd Grade: Spencer Smith
Overall Fair Winner/Best In Show for 3rd-6th Grade: Aaron Waldrep
• All Kindergarten students showed growth on the Star Early Literacy test. They have also been working hard on Accelerate Reading and Math Facts in a Flash Addition Practice and Tests. Kindergarten students are working on composing and decomposing numbers 10-20, counting to 100 by ones and tens, and addition facts to 5. For reading, they are working on short a and i word families, sight words, color words, and number words. Children have been responding to literature by writing opinion and narrative writing pieces.
St. Francis Xavier Elementary School
• St. Francis held its Annual Reading Fair. Best in Reading Fair winner was 4th Grade Student Olivia Scallions, with a non-fiction book, Who Was Helen Keller?. Other winners included:
Division A: 1st – Jack Dickerson;
Division C: 1st – Helena Wallace, 2nd – Clark Hobson, 3rd – Angelina Miniacci and Honorable Mention: Mason Penley
Division D: 1st – Austin Norwood, 2nd – Sarah Beth Johnston
Division E: 1st – David Wallace, 2nd – Mari Miller Theobald and Christine Wallace, 3rd – Natalie Southerland, 4th – Maggie Stevens
Division F: 1st – Aftyn Rankins
Division H: 1st – Olivia Scallions, 2nd – Blanton Mansfield
• Other Participants: Mia Hendricks, Beau Harris, Tristan Wilbanks, Iley Baldwin, Haley Stuart, Miracle Flowers, Conner Gaul, Alfred Rankins, and Kylan Jordan
• St. Aloysius and St. Francis students and their families collected food to create 85 Thanksgiving Baskets for area families.
• The American Red Cross presented “The Pillowcase Project” about disaster preparedness to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade students.
• Chaplain Michael Nations spoke to St. Francis students about Mariners that work on the river. St. Francis students made Christmas cards for Mariners that will be on the river for Christmas.
• The Vicksburg Rotary Club visited third grade and delivered dictionaries.
• 1st and 2nd Grade performed “The Christmas Story for the school; 3 and 4 year olds performed the Nativity in the chapel.
• Mrs. Gatling’s Kindergarten, 3rd and 4th Grade, and 5th and 6th Grade Choirs were all runners up in the V105.5 Caroling Contest
• Students who met their “Book It” goals for the month of November:
2nd Grade: Stella Buckner, Jaela Colon, Ellery Connell, Forrest Coutch, Samantha Edwards, Evan Farrell, Marcus Flowers, Thompson Fortenberry, Seth Gambrell, Evan Gordon, Gracie Griggs, Beau Harris, Mia Hendricks, Clark Hobson, Vaughn Hynum, Joshua Kitchens, Ali Grace Luke, Blanton Mansfield, Angelina Miniacci, Mason Penley, Maddie Rice, Jon Cole Sanders, Carson Smith, Caleb Stewart, Lollie Stevens, Ruben Thompson-Trujillo, Julia Tuminello, Helena Wallace, Carrie Wood, and Taylor Zadrozny
3rd Grade: Bellamy Bailey, Nancy Clement, Steven Clement, McKenzie Cole, Zac Cowart, Hampton Derivaux, Anna Distante, Blair Farrell, Brady Harrell, Christian Harris, Lucas Jeffers, Connor Johnston, Sarah Beth Johnston, Walker Lambiotte, Luke Larson, Maleena Manusukha, Austin Norwood, Kishna Patel, Shan Patel, Lilli Perniciaro, Damien Reeves, Barrett Shows, Clara Smith, Canada Stewart, and Caleb Tucker
4th Grade: Gael Angel, Ali Blackburn, Morgan Breithaupt, Jake Brister, Skylar Connelly, Rachel Dahl, Thomas Dowe, Will Dowe, Miracle Flowers, Karly Henderson, Joshua Jamison, Kylan Jordan, Will Keen, Dalton Lott, Falyn Lusby, Madeline Matthews, Macy McDonald, Alfred Rankins, Kate Simrall, Natalie Southerland, Emma Strelzoff, Marion Theobald, Ismael Thompson-Trujillo, Aiden Walker, Christine Wallace, David Wallace, and Madison Waters
5th Grade: Iley Baldwin, Jelani Colon, Trace Daily, Ryan Field, Adam Francisco, Madison Hedrick, Sarah Jacobs Houser, Marissa Jabour, Logan Johnson, Victoria Morehead, Mary Bay Procell, Karen Smith, Maggie Stevens, Elizabeth Theriot, Chase Tucker, Christina Waisner, and Emma Waisner
6th Grade: Mason Ashely, Henry Bufkin, Samuel Bunch, Natalie Burke, Colten Easterling, Kennedi Fitzgerald, Samantha Graves, Sophia Hou, Ashley Jarratt, Aimee Jones, Anna Lamanilao, Alana Latorre, Sophie Lee, Hannah Parker, Kangana Patel, Aftyn Rankins, May Spangler, Analese Warnock, and Logan Young
Vicksburg High School
• The Science Fair was recently held at the school. Class 4 winners are: Behavioral & Social Sciences – Lily Brown, 1st place, Nicholas Crasta, 2nd place, Ashley Pendleton, 3rd place; Biochemistry – Chelsha Myers, 1st place, Christopher Farrish, 2nd place, Paul Auttonberry, 3rd place; Botany – Bobbi Taylor, 1st place, Brittany Brewer, 2nd place, Jadyn Stone, 3rd place; Chemistry – Ronesha Tucker, 1st place, Zachary Moore, 2nd place, Trevor Talbot, 3rd place; Medicine & Health – Kionna Taylor, 1st place, Jon Bantugan, 2nd place, Walter Boyd, 3rd place; Physics – Slade Kingston-Miles, 1st place, Hailry Randolph, 2nd place, Shamar Dorsey, 3rd place. Class 5 winners are: Behavioral & Social Sciences – Grace Bufkin, 1st place, Edward Auttonberry, 2nd place, Marshall Banks, 3rd place; Biochemistry – Elishia Howard, 1st place, Brittnei Vines, 2nd place, Alexis Drayton, 3rd place; Botany – Caroline Williams, 1st place, Yolanda Parson, 2nd place, Ruby Alexander, 3rd place; Chemistry – Shantesia Lockridge, 1st place, Marcus Williams, 2nd place, Tyler Smith, 3rd place; Earth, Space & Environmental Sciences – Dyamond Benton, 1st place, Evonte’ Shepard, 2nd place, Tatiyana Freeman, 3rd place; Engineering, Computers & Math – Mikkah Davis, 1st place, Keiyana Gaskin, 2nd place, Shelby Muirhead, 3rd place; Medicine & Health – Abrina Emerson, 1st place, Kynan Heath, 2nd place, Charity Davis, 3rd place; Microbiology – Nathan Fox, 3rd place; Physics – Chloei Fulgham, 1st place, Brendan Gardner, 2nd place, Hannah Emerson, 3rd place; Zoology – Austin Neihaus, 1st place. These winners will be eligible to attend the regional science fair on March 20, 2015. Coordinator is Sylvia Lamb.
• The VHS Student Council sponsored a Penny Harvest to benefit the Warren County Children’s Shelter. Students were asked to drop change and dollars into their English teacher’s orange bucket. Winners will be announced later and the winning classes will receive a party.
• The following VHS Key Club members participated in the “Learn Program” at Vicksburg Intermediate: Jayla Atlas, Trey Blackmore, Jazmine Green, Tyson Hardy, Daylon Jewitt, Katlin Levette, Tyler McDowell, Olivia Oakes, Dewayne Sims, Jada Sims, Jay Stirgus, Tyler Smith, Jadyn Stone, and Bobbi Taylor.
• The VHS Family would like to thank the following students, “future” students, parents, and teachers for making their campus beautiful: De’Andre Davis, Jessica Parson, Ashley Moore, Quincy Brown, Nicholas Johnson, Demetris Valentine, Zaria Neal, Austin Warren, Da’Marcus Darden, Raven Ross, Na’Keia Stewart, 1st grader Grace O’Leary of Dana Road, and 5th grader Taylor O’Leary of Vicksburg Intermediate; parent volunteers were Colin and Dannetta Crasta, Deborah Cooper, and Katrina Johnson; teacher volunteers were Sylvia Lamb and Regina O’Leary.
• The PTO will meet on Dec. 15 at 5:30 p.m. in the school cafeteria. All parents and Please submit any items for discussion at the meeting or any ideas for the betterment of our school to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vicksburg Intermediate School
• Pledge leaders were Caitlin Burks, Breanna Bell, Isaac Martin, Jason Miller, and Kendarius Turpin.
• Nine Weeks Test Schedule: Tuesday, December 16 – Reading (9:-00-10:15)/Science (1:30-2:30); Wednesday, December 17 – Language (9:-00-10:15)/Social Studies (1:30-2:30); Thursday, December 18 – Math (8:15-9:15).
• Students are encouraged to bring pennies and any other money to donate to the Penny Harvest for the Warren County Children’s Shelter from now until December 17.
• Community volunteers Cindy McCarley, Municipal Court Judge Toni Terrett, Wanda Barnes, and Alderman Willis Thompson with Administrative Assistant Danitta Reed read the book Who is Harriett Tubman? to third grade classes. Books presented to students were provided by the United Way LEARN Reading Program (Leaders Encouraging Advancement in Reading Now).
• Vicksburg High School students Jayla Atlas, Trey Blackmore, Jazmin Green, Tyler McDowell, Olivia Oakes, Dewayne Sims, Dada Sims, Jay Stirgus, Tyler Smith, Jaydyn Stone, Bobbi Taylor, and Stephon Young read to fifth and sixth grade classes as a part of the LEARN program.
• Fab Dorsett, grandmother of Brady Crouch, provided supplies and made Christmas wreaths with Margie Heltzel’s fifth and sixth grade GATES students.
• Teachers received ELA common core training provided by Patricia Kimple of The Kirkland Group.
• Students with outstanding behavior will participate in the PBIS Winter Olympics December 17-18.
Warren Central High School
• Mrs. Different’s Nutrition and Wellness classes participated in the annual Merry Cupcake Christmas Competition. The winners from first period were Kayla Mayfield and Malik Steele with their Red Velvet cupcakes with a creamy vanilla icing. The winners from sixth period were John Foster, Tyler Hearn, Devyunn Jefferson and Kyndajia Savage with a Tart Lemon cupcake topped with pastel creamy vanilla icing. Extra cupcakes were delivered to faculty and staff members as a Christmas treat.
• Students caught doing something good are Sidney Lindsey, Devon Bryant, Keyonia Torrain, Jerry Qualls, Austin Stacey, Kentavis Brown, and Lawrence Jackson. Staff Members of the Week are Jamie Creel and Bruce Robinson.
• Herff Jones will deliver class rings on Tuesday, Dec. 16, during all three lunches. Students who ordered rings must bring the balance to pick up ring. Student who would like to order a class ring must bring a $60 deposit and order form.
• Congratulations to DeArius Christmas and Chris Stamps for being selected to the Mississippi Association of Coaches All-Star First Team.
• The semester exam schedule is as follows: Tuesday, Dec. 16 – 2nd and 4th period exams; Wednesday, Dec. 17 – 1st and 3rd period exams; Thursday, Dec. 18 – 5th and 6th period exams; and Friday, Dec. 19 – 7th and 8th period exams. More information about the review schedule is posted on the school website found on www.vwsd.org.
• Pledge and Creed Captains for the week of December 1st were: Jessica Kennedy, Kingston Nicholas, Jaylen Armstrong, Ken’Aryieal Cox, Voshon Williams, Johnathan Bohannon, Ishmel Ross, Geliyah Moore, Tameia Stewart, and Sha’mira Banks.
• The Penny Harvest has begun. It will be ongoing until Wednesday, December 17th. All types of money are accepted for collection (change, bills, and checks-made payable to Warren County Children’s Shelter). It is not necessary to convert dollar bills into pennies. The winning teacher’s class receives a pizza party!
• Children’s Book Drive- Please donate new or gently used children’s books to Warrenton’s library through Thursday, December 18th. The drive is sponsored by United Way to provide books for needy families. Contact Librarian, Jennifer Nelson with any questions at 601-636-7234.
• Coat Drive- Please donate new or gently used coats to Warrenton’s office through Thursday, December 18th.
• Perfect Attendance free dress week will be December 15th-19th. This is for all students that had perfect attendance for the month of November. Notices were sent home if your child received perfect attendance.
• Congratulations Quinton Powell (First Place) and Jeanette Bantugan (Runner Up) in the Spelling Bee.
• Nine Weeks Tests are December 16-18th:
• Tuesday, Dec. 16th – Reading and Spelling
• Wednesday, Dec. 17th – Math and Science
• Thursday, Dec. 18th – Language and Social Studies
• Friday, December 19th is a Full School Day.