Robber gets 10 years in prison

Published 12:00 am Saturday, September 5, 2015

A Vicksburg man was sentenced to a decade in prison after pleading guilty Friday to stealing a cellphone at gunpoint and breaking into a home on Sherwood Drive.

Jason Lane, 28, 114 Short St., entered guilty pleas before Circuit Judges M. James Chaney and Isadore Patrick.

090515-Lane-jeChaney sentenced Lane to 10 years in prison in the robbery, and Patrick issued an eight-year sentence for burglary. The sentences are to run concurrently.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Lane robbed a man who was walking at Lane and Cedars Streets around midnight Oct. 8, according to court records.

“[The victim] stated a male exited from the passenger side, asked where his boyfriend was, then pointed a black handgun at him and took his AT&T Mega Pixel cellphone from his hand,” former Vicksburg police investigator Eric Paymon wrote in an offense report.

The victim told police he did not recognize the robber ,but he was familiar with the vehicle he was in. Police identified Lane as a suspect, and the victim picked him out of a photo line-up.

On Oct. 23, bail bonding agent Trish Younger told police she knew where Lane was and that he would be wearing a Duke Blue Devil’s jacket and a gray skullcap, according to court records. That afternoon, officer Torance McArthur was responding to a burglary in the 100 block of Sherwood Drive and found a silver Nissan Altima leaving the home that had been burglarized.

“The vehicle stopped at the intersection of Sherwood Drive and Starlight. The passenger Jason Lane jumped out the passenger side of the vehicle and ran into a wooded area,” investigator Eddie Colbert wrote in the burglary report.

Investigator Curtis Judge found Lane’s jacket outside the burglarized home.

Lane was arrested Oct. 27 and taken to police headquarters for interrogation.

“Lane stated that he wanted a lawyer present before he would answer any questions. When I turned the tape recorder off, Lane made an outburst admitting to breaking into the house. Lane then stated he was ready to go to the county jail so he could get some rest and dry out from drugs,” Colbert wrote.