Two held in weekend rape case

Published 9:49 am Monday, September 21, 2015

Two people were detained for questioning Monday in the weekend home invasion rape of a 72-year-old.

The detention came while police were investigating the rape and robbery that was reported at 6:35 a.m. Saturday in the 1100 block of Mundy Street and a burglary that was reported about the same time in the 100 block of Kelly Circle, Vicksburg police Capt. Sandra Williams said.

Sunday, police searched a home in connection with both break-ins and found a computer that had been stolen from Kelly Circle, Williams said.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

“All those people we spoke with from inside the home were released, but we do have two other people of interest detained,” Williams said.

Kelly Circle, which is a single block that runs north from Skyfarm Avenue, is less than half a mile from the home where police say two men kicked in a door and raped a woman at gunpoint before ransacking the home and stealing an undetermined amount of crash.

The woman was taken to Merit Health River Region Medical Center, where she was treated and released.

“We are looking at pieces of information that are coming in and we’re following up on it,” Williams said.

Anyone with information about the rape is encouraged to call Vicksburg police at 601-636-2511 or Central Mississippi Crime Stoppers at 601-355-8477. Callers to Crime Stoppers remain anonymous and do not have to testify in court.

Crime Stoppers will pay a cash reward of up to $2,500 for information leading to the arrest of a felony suspect.

The home invasion rape is the second reported this year in Vicksburg.

In June, 69-year-old Sharen Wilson was attacked inside her home on Drummond Street.

Police say Wilson was stalked, tied up, raped, abducted and taken to the abandoned Kuhn Memorial Hospital where she was shot in the head with a stolen gun.

Her death prompted the Board of Mayor and Aldermen to increase efforts to demolish the former charity hospital.

Rafael McCloud, 33, was arrested and charged with capital murder, sexual battery, rape, possession of a weapon by a convicted felon, grand larceny, arson and home invasion.