Glenbrook pulls away late to knock off Porters Chapel

Published 1:35 am Saturday, August 27, 2016

Déjà vu.

Until a pick six in the final three minutes of the game, Porters Chapel Academy’s football game against Glenbrook looked a lot like its first game against St. Andrew’s. The Eagles played a scoreless first half and hung tough, but lost 21-0.

“It was exactly the same thing. Played a great defensive first half. Left a lot of opportunities on the field. Finally got some things going. Our passing game improved a little bit,” PCA coach Blake Purvis said.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

The Eagles attempted many more passes this week, as quarterback Garrett Hutchins went 11-for-18 for only 19 yards. Most of his attempts were short, quick throws that either lost yardage or resulted in minimal gains.

Hutchins was 4-of-9 for 23 yards in the season opener.

“We’ve got to try to loosen up the box. Until we can complete passes and loosen up the box our run game is not going to be very successful. We’ve got to try to get defenses out and complete balls so we can have a little running game,” Purvis said.

In addition to continuing to work on the offense, Purvis said he is still focusing on improving the team’s conditioning to ensure they can make it through a four-quarter game without tiring.

The first half of Friday’s game went scoreless, with both teams attempting field goals without success.

The Apaches’ Damaza Robinson ended the deadlock by breaking a 54-yard touchdown run with 8:35 left in the third quarter.

Glenbrook’s second touchdown came with just under five minutes left in the game, when Seth Tyler scored on a quarterback sneak. The Apaches started the two-play drive on PCA’s 10-yard line after a fumble. The Eagles had no turnovers until that point.

On PCA’s next drive, Glenbrook returned an interception for a touchdown to seal it with less than three minutes remaining.

“Our defense is still playing well. We’re getting winded late and we really, that’s a seven-point game, we give up a fumble deep in our territory and then the pick six,” Purvis said. “Our defense is keeping us in the game. We’ve just got to figure it out offensively.”

The Eagles had a solid, mostly running, 14-play drive in the third quarter but did not score.

“Got some things going in the second half. Dropped some touchdown passes, some opportunities to move the sticks. Still leaving a lot of opportunities on the field,” Purvis said.

The Eagles’ defense had three interceptions in the first half, but the offense was unable to put points on the board. The first interception by Cameron Harvey came with about two minutes left in the first quarter and led to the Eagles’ field goal attempt at the beginning on the second quarter.

Spencer Azlin and Brayden Ray had the other interceptions.

“I feel like we went in there and we weren’t prepared. Not everybody wanted it. Four of us can’t want it and the rest of us don’t. We’re going to need to come together,” Ray said. “We’ll know how it’s going to be Sunday when we work out. I can tell how the week’s going to go on how everybody acts. If everybody is messing around, it’s going to be like tonight.”

PCA will go on the road to play at Central Hinds next Friday at 7 p.m.