Nine arrested in early morning drug raid
Published 1:13 pm Thursday, September 22, 2016
In a pre-dawn roundup, tagged by law enforcement as Operation Fall Sweep, law enforcement arrested nine people.
The arrests are the result of a four-month-long investigation into drug sales in Vicksburg, said Vicksburg Police Chief Walter Armstrong.
Vicksburg police conducted the raid with assistance from the Warren County Sheriff’s Office, the Mississippi Highway Patrol and the Mississippi Bureau of Narcotics.
Email newsletter signup
“The war on drugs is a never-ending battle. Vicksburg Police Department will continue to fight the good fight. Drug dealers should know they are breaking the law by selling illegal drugs and it will not be tolerated in the City of Vicksburg,” Armstrong said.
He said many crimes that are committed are related to drug activity.
“Individuals are committing crimes because of their involvement with drugs, including burglaries, in order to obtain goods to sell for profit with the intention of purchasing even more drugs. Some drug dealers view selling drugs as a way of life or a career,” Armstrong said.
He asked that citizens continue to reach out to the Vicksburg Police Department with any information they may have about individuals who may be in possession of any illegal drugs or any person who may be selling illegal drugs in the community. He said any such information would remain confidential.
• Gregory Ragan, 30: sale of Cocaine. He has a history of criminal activity, police said.
• Roderick Brown, 32: sale of Marijuana. He has prior charges of burglary and possession of controlled substance.
• Lee Edward Yates, 47: sale of Cocaine. He has prior charges of aggravated assault, larceny, burglary and shoplifting.
• James Carl Friley, 48: sale of methamphetamine. He has prior charges of possession of meth, aggravated assault and burglary.
• David Evans, 30: three counts of sale of Marijuana. He has prior charges of aggravated assault and felon using a firearm.
• Khristopher Hearron, 44: sale of cocaine, sale of methamphetamine, and has an Mississippi Department of Corrections warrant for parole violation. He has prior charges of simple assault, possession of marijuana, and possession of a controlled substance-cocaine.
• Deonte Spates, 20: sale of marijuana.
• Christopher Ward, 23: three counts of sale of Marijuana.
• Cornelius Qualls, 29: possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He has prior charges of simple assault and possession of marijuana.
All arrested will have their initial appearance on Friday.
in Municipal Court in Vicksburg.