FAA grant to help repair airport drainage problems

Published 9:48 am Monday, November 14, 2016

City officials plan to apply for a Federal Aviation Administration Grant to assess and repair drainage problems at the Vicksburg Municipal Airport.

The Board of Mayor and Aldermen approved filing a pre-application for the grant, which will cover 90 percent, or $299,970 of the project’s $333,000 cost with the city and the Mississippi Department of Transportation splitting the remaining 10 percent, or $16,665 each.

Public Works Director Garnet Van Norman said the work is overdue

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

“The airport was built in the 40s,” he said. “It’s got old (storm drain) pipes running from all kinds of drainage basins there’s three or four pipes that go under the runway itself and it needs to looked at and fixed.

“It needed to be fixed years ago, and they didn’t. Now they’re looking at how to assess it and try to fix it. It needs to be addressed. It’s several different catch basins around there that probably haven’t been taken care of over the last 70 years.”

Other than when floodwaters from the 2011 spring Mississippi River flood covered the airport’s south runway, Van Norman said he cannot recall the airport runway being flooded because of runoff from storms.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John