Future of city’s garbage service set to be discussed

Published 5:50 pm Friday, June 9, 2017

The selection of a company to collect the city’s garbage could be determined Wednesday, Mayor George Flaggs Jr. said.

“June 14 at 9:30 (a.m.) we’re going to have a special board meeting to open the bids for the waste disposal contract,” Flaggs said at the start of Friday’s meeting of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.

The bid opening is the second for the board.

Six companies have so far requested bid packets for the contract, according records at the city clerk’s office: Waste Management, which has the current contract, FDM Services of Vicksburg, Team Waste of Biloxi, Riverbend Environmental Services of Fayette, Metro Service Group of New Orleans and Republic Services of Arcadia, La.

Team Waste, Riverbend and Metro submitted bids in the first round. Waste Management’s bid was rejected in the first round because it was not delivered to the clerk’s office by the 9 a.m. deadline for submission.

The board on May 10 followed the recommendation of the city’s solid waste committee, rejecting the six bids for garbage collection it received in April and authorized city clerk Walter Osborne to re-advertise for the service.

After the meeting, Flaggs said city officials had revised the specifications for garbage collection in the city to give every company submitting a bid in April the opportunity to re-bid. The board’s action also allows other interested companies to submit bids for garbage collection.

“I thought it (revising the specifications) was fair and balanced,” he said at the time. “I thought what we did would give everybody an opportunity to give us their best proposal. I actually think in spite of the delay this is going to save us money.”

He said the city had a verbal agreement with Waste Management to extend the current agreement past the June 30 expiration.

“So there will be no disruption of service; it will be business as usual. We’ve got enough time to do everything.”

The board on April 17 took under advisement bids for garbage collection from six companies, Arrow Disposal Service, Express Waste, Metro Service Group, Riverbend Environmental Services, Team Waste Jackson and Waste Pro of Mississippi. Waste Management’s proposal was rejected because it was submitted after the 9 a.m. deadline.

The bids were referred to the solid waste committee, which on May 3 recommended rejecting them, specifying irregularities in each of the bids submitted.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John