Jury deadlocks in trial over burning death in Mississippi

Published 4:37 pm Monday, October 16, 2017

BATESVILLE (AP) — A Mississippi judge declared a mistrial Monday after jurors said they could not reach a unanimous verdict in the trial of a man charged with burning a woman to death.
Jurors deliberated more than ten hours before saying they were deadlocked.
It was not immediately clear whether prosecutors would retry Quinton Tellis, 29, for capital murder in the death of Jessica Chambers, 19.
Defense attorneys argued the wrong man was on trial. Firefighters testified that Chambers told them someone named “Eric” or “Derek” set her on fire. Some first responders said Chambers looked like a “zombie,” with burned skin and hair, when she walked from a wooded area in Courtland, Mississippi, on Dec. 6, 2014. She died hours later.
District Attorney John Champion said Chambers’ throat was damaged and she could not pronounce the letter T. He said she could have been trying to say “Tellis.”
Investigators said they questioned about 10 to 15 people named Eric or Derek, and all were cleared.
The horrific circumstances surrounding Chambers’ death garnered national attention amid concerns about violent crime in rural communities. The trial was emotional, with witnesses breaking down and spectators crying as jurors were shown graphic photos of Chambers’ burned stomach and face.
A burn doctor testified Chambers had so much damage to her mouth, throat and chest that she would be unable to properly say and pronounce words while she was speaking to firefighters.
Agents studied more than 20,000 cellphone numbers and interviewed more than 100 people during their investigation. Prosecutors used cellphone location data and video surveillance footage from a store across the street from Tellis’ home in an attempt to prove he was with Chambers the night she was burned.
During early interviews with law enforcement agents, Tellis said he only saw Chambers on the morning of the day she died. After being confronted with more evidence during another interrogation more than two years later, Tellis acknowledged that Chambers picked him up in her car at about 5:30 p.m. that night, and said they spent about 1 ½ hours together, according to videotaped interviews played for the jury Friday.
Investigators concluded that Tellis and Chambers were together until around 7:30 p.m., and showed the jury a video recording of a vehicle appearing to be Tellis’ sister’s, stopping at Tellis’ house at 7:50 p.m. and staying for about two minutes before heading toward the crime scene.
Tellis told investigators he kept a 5-gallon container of gasoline in a shed at his house. Prosecutors said they believe he was driving his sister’s vehicle when he picked up the gas from his shed before setting Chambers on fire.
Tellis faces another murder indictment in Louisiana, where he’s accused in the torture death of Meing-Chen Hsiao, a 34-year-old Taiwanese graduate student at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. No trial date has been set in that case.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month