Grand jury indicts man for assault on sheriff’s deputy
Published 6:41 pm Friday, December 1, 2017
A Warren County man has been indicted on charges accusing him of assaulting a Warren County sheriff’s deputy and the deputy’s K-9 partner during a chase in July.
The multiple count indictment charges Thomas Bruce Wilkerson Jr., 27, no address listed, of simple assault on a police officer and killing or injuring a public service animal.
Email newsletter signup
The charges stem from a chase that began on Nailor Road. Wilkerson is accused of pushing deputy Rick McDaniel and injuring McDaniel’s K-9 partner Soldier, which bit him on the leg.
According sheriff’s office reports, the events leading to the chase began about 3:20 p.m., July 9, when deputy Connie Ricketts attempted to stop Wilkerson for reckless driving in the 4800 block of Nailor Road and he fled, later driving into the yard of a home, left the car and ran into a nearby wooded area. Ricketts followed, but was unable to catch him.
About 20 minutes later, McDaniel saw a man meeting Wilkerson’s description walking on Nailor Road and attempted to stop him. The two got into a tussle, with Wilkerson pushing the deputy down and running off. McDaniel opened the door to let Soldier out, and the dog caught up to Wilkerson and bit him before being picked up, body slammed and tossed down the ravine.
Authorities captured Wilkerson about five hours later in a wooded area off Grange Hall Road where he was hiding.
Sheriff Martin Pace said Soldier, McDaniel’s personal dog, later returned to duty. He said McDaniel and Soldier later moved to a town in Alabama, where McDaniel was hired a police chief.
Other indictments included:
• Amanda Combs, 31, of Brandon, three counts of embezzlement totaling $45,000 from the Public Employees Retirement System from Dec. 20 to Dec. 29, 2016. The case was handled by the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office.
• Leo James Harris, 39, 1354 East Ave., two counts possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute.
• Devonte Marece Gary, 21, 53 Old Gibson Road, sale of a controlled substance.
• Darrow Allen, 49, Baton Rouge, La., failure to register as a sex offender.
• Crissy Coleman, 30, West Monre, La., and Kevin Wayne Owen, 40, 143 Poplar St., possession of a controlled substance.
• Reginald Cortez Dorsey, 29, Lorman, failure to register as a sex offender.
• Benny Michael Stanley, 41. 350 Still Drive, failure to register as a sex offender.
• Alvin Coleman Christon, 40, Vicksburg, two counts of possession of a controlled substance. Christon, who gave addresses of 279 Ironwood Drive and 3225 Oak St., was charged as a habitual offender because he had two previous felony convictions.
• Johnny Lee Thompson, 35, 320 Fisher Ferry Road, two counts possession of a controlled substance, possession of a weapon after felony conviction. He is charged as a habitual offender because he has two previous felony convictions.
• Monrell Bernard, 38, 62 Margurita St., two counts sale of a controlled substance.
• Delisha Taylor, 27, 412 Sped St., sale of a controlled substance.
• George Edward Jones, 38, Jackson, and Harold Dehart Sims, no age given, 1681 Indiana Ave., grand larceny.
• Charlie Robinson, 19, 137 Woodstone Drive, embezzlement.
• Kendarious George Gaskin, 22, 130 Capri Drive, receiving stolen property.
• Kayla Danielle Henley, 29, 405B Timberlane Place, sale of a controlled substance.
• Destiny Hope Brand, 23, 220 Old Mount Alban Road, and Summer Leann Jendron, 33, 433 Shannon Hill Road, sale of a controlled substance. Jendron also has a separate indictment for sale of a controlled substance.
• David Maurice Evans, 31, 1214 West Magnolia St.; Devonte Montgomery, 23, 3 Lydia Place; and Carlos Dewayne Rollins, 36, 102 Burnie Drive; Conspiracy to commit a felony, vehicle burglary and possession of a stolen firearm. Evans and Rollins are also each charged with possession of a weapon after felony conviction. Rollins and Evans are also charged as habitual offenders because they each have two previous felon convictions.
• Phillip Proeger, 33, 1491 Culkin Road, two counts of possession of a controlled substance.
• Robert Cedell Sykes, 33, Port Gibson, credit card fraud.
• Conti LaShaun Tillis, 25, 160 Lightcap Blvd., possession of a weapon after felony conviction.
• Ernessa Farrell Jackson, 39, 1104 Farmer St., embezzlement.
• Cerdic Damon Watts, 44, Lorman, third-offense DUI.
• Cory Donta Johnson, 30, 1603 Jackson St., possession of a controlled subtance.
• Carolyn Etta Mansfield, 44, third-offense domestic violence. Mansfield gave addresses of 2223 Pearl St. and 1027 Vine St.
• Vernon Jordan Skinner, 37, Jackson, fourth-offense DUI.
• Steven Lushon Baker, 29, third-offense DUI. Baker gave two addresses, 805 Patton St. and 2418 Halls Ferry Road.
• Petra Nicole Netter, 34, 530 Hugo St., three counts identity fraud.
• Jason Antonio Shelton, 35, 2604 Togo St., third-offense domestic violence. Shelton is charged as a habitual offender, because he has two previous felony convictions.