Local talent comes out for annual caroling contest
Published 7:41 pm Saturday, December 9, 2017
By Gabrielle Terrett
The Vicksburg Post
Singers, choirs and even a few instrumental groups competed to win a share of $10,600 at the 13th annual V105.5 FM Caroling Contest.
Email newsletter signup
The contest lasted a total of five days at the Vicksburg Convention Center and each night a division performed in preliminary contests in which judges had the difficult task of selecting the night’s finalists.
Friday night summed up the contest as finalists from each division came out to compete for a division winner title.
“This is a way we can help the music programs in schools and also bring people together from all walks of life because we have all sorts of entertainers up here and it gives people a chance to see all types of different performances, from kids to senior adults,” Mark Jones, V105.5 radio station owner and general manager, said.
There were seven divisions in the competition and each division consisted of singers, choirs, instrumentalists or even a mixture of all, separated only by age.
Division one consisted of the Vicksburg High School Madrigals and Warren Central’s Total Sound group. The Vicksburg High School Madrigals won $1,000 for their performance of “Go Tell it on the Mountain” and “Ding-Uh Ding.”
“We worked really, really hard,” said Christie Beasley, Vicksburg High School assistant choir director. “These kids start Christmas music right when school starts. They learn several songs and then we choose two for this competition.”
In division three, Sherman Avenue Elementary won $1,000 for its performance of “This Holiday.”
“They worked everyday,” said Danielle Miller, Sherman Avenue music teacher. “We started in September preparing and in November they started working every day. This is extraordinary for the children.”
Award winners include:
• High School Choir Division: Vicksburg High School Madrigals, first; Warren Central Total Sound, runner up
• Junior High Choir Division: Warren Central Junior High Choir, first place; Sumner Hill Junior High School Mixed Choir, runner up; Sumner Hill Junior High School Girls’ Choir, runner up
• Elementary Choir Division: South Park Pizzazz, first; St. Francis, runner up; The Beechwood Singing Bees, runner up; Bowmar Elementary 5th and 6th grade Crescendos, runner up
• Second Elementary Choir Division: Sherman Avenue Elementary, first; South Park Petite Pizzazz, runner up; Bovina Elementary 3rd and 4th grade Choir, runner up; Redwood Elementary Holiday Choir, runner up
• Junior High Soloists Division: Abbey Kelly and Robin Neblit, first place; Katie Hamm, second place; Emma Vincent and Pressley Brister, runner up; Genevieve Moore, runner up
• High School Soloists Division: Lee Denton, first place; Rogers Wesley, second place; Lera and Luba Rowell, runner up; Abbie Grace Matthews, runner up
• Adult Soloists Division: The Kelly Reeds Saxophone Quartet, first place; Tonya Matthews, second place; Katie Locke runner up; Hannah Miller, runner up