Man shoots at car at Clay Street restaurant
Published 7:27 pm Monday, May 21, 2018
Vicksburg man has been charged with discharging a firearm inside the city limits after he shot at a car as it drove off from the Kentucky Fried Chicken, 2915 Clay St., Monday.
Police arrested William Delane Walker, 25, 3419 Second St. shortly after the incident, which occurred about 10:26 a.m. Monday. If convicted, he will serve a mandatory 90 days in jail and pay a $500 fine. He is the third person arrested under the ordinance, which was amended to include the stiffer penalties.
According to police, Walker, who was described as an employee of the restaurant who was off work, was in the restaurant getting something to eat. As he was waiting, a car pulled up to the drive through window and he recognized the driver, with whom he had a disagreement.
Email newsletter signup
Walker went outside to talk to the man, and as the car drove off, pulled a handgun and began shooting at the car as it drove away. No one was wounded.
“We’re fortunate an innocent bystander wasn’t hit,” police Sgt. Johnnie Edwards said. “This was a dumb thing to do; it was crazy.”
City employee arrested for alleged utility theft
In another case, John Henry Morgan Jr., 58, 2254 3rd North St., a city of Vicksburg employee, was arrested Monday during a meeting of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen on charges of utility theft involving the theft of city water, sewer and gas service, which is a misdemeanor. He is accused of illegally using utility services from 2010 to 2018.
He was arrested during the board’s executive session. The arrest was the result of a police investigation into a complaint that someone was getting service illegally.
In other cases:
• A counterfeit $100 bill was reported passed Saturday at WaterView Casino, 3990 Washington St.
• A 2000 Toyota Camry was reported taken about 11:01 a.m. Saturday from the 1000 block of Bowman Street.
• A storm door and window were reported taken about 12:05 p.m. Saturday from a vacant home in the 1600 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard.
• Shots were reported fired about 10:55 p.m. Saturday in the area of Togo and Walter streets.
• Shots were reported fired about 11:19 p.m. in the area of Bowmar Avenue and Drummond Street.
• A stolen credit card was used to take $500 from an ATM in the 3500 block of Pemberton Square Boulevard.
• A 55-inch flat screen TV was reported taken about 3:59 p.m. Friday from a home in the 800 block of Speed Street.
• A stainless steel Smith & Wesson .357-magnum revolver and a black .22-caliber Ruger handgun were reported taken about 12:03 p.m. Friday from a car parked in the 1700 block of Eisenhower Street.
• A counterfeit $100 bill was reported passed about 11:49 p.m. Friday at the Relax Inn, 1313 Walnut St.
• Shots were reported fired about 11:56 p.m. Friday in the 800 block of Speed Street.