Grand Jury indicts Utica man for murder
Published 7:19 pm Wednesday, May 23, 2018
A Utica man has been indicted on a charge murder in the Nov. 12 shooting death of a friend during a fight.
Rico DeMichael Hay, 31, 6609 Mississippi 27 North, Utica, is accused of shooting Corey Maxie Jr., 22, during the fight in the 1200 block of Fayette Street.
According to Vicksburg police, Hay and Maxie got into a fight, and when Maxie got the better of him, Hay pulled a gun and shot Maxie in the head. Maxie was declared dead at the scene.
Email newsletter signup
In another case, six people were indicted on charges of aggravated assault in an Aug. 7, 2016, shooting at the Circle K at the corner of East Clay Street and Mississippi 27 in which one man, Jerome Rankin, 22, of Vicksburg, was killed and three people wounded. Rankin died from his wounds at University of Mississippi Medical Center, where he had been taken after he was shot.
Don Bell, 24, 1315 Filmore St.; Deldrick C. Harper, 20, 106 Ash St.; Solomon Harris, 29, 2828 Grove St Apt. B; Andrew W. King, 25, 280 Curry St.; Ricky Lee Perkins, 29, 824 Polk St.; and Erick Leamont Smith, 24, 314 Linda St.; were all indicted for aggravated assault in the shooting, which occurred while a crowd of people were gathered in the parking lot of the convenience store in the early morning hours of Aug. 7, a Sunday.
Bell, Harper, Perkins and Smith were also indicted on charges of drive-by shooting in the case.
In other indictments include:
• Christopher Johnson, 44, 56 Washaway Road, domestic aggravated assault — strangling, two counts of kidnapping, armed robbery and larceny — motor vehicle involving a Jan. 29 incident in which he is accused of assaulting his wife and father-in-law, tying them up and taking his father-in-law’s pickup and his debit card and using it.
• Fabian Armstead, 34, 4920 Halls Ferry Road, attempted aggravated assault and shooting at a motor vehicle. Armstead is accused of shooting at Akeem McCloud, who was a passenger in an SUV traveling westbound on Clay Street. McCloud was not wounded.
• Brian Hobson, 28, 2065 Flower Drive, statutory rape involving a 15-year-old girl.
• Charles Anthony McCray, 53, 1016 Urban Court Apt. 16, statutory rape involving a 14-year-old child.
• Mark G. Morton, 32, 106 Fairy Lane, one count of sexual battery of a child between of 14 and 16, and one count of molesting a child under the age of 16.
• Edward Charles Bush, 32, 1214 East Magnolia St., fleeing or eluding a law enforcement officer.
• Eddie Dye, 53, 404 Wood St., Tallulah, Louisiana, fleeing or eluding a law enforcement officer.
• Brandon McKnight, 25, 420 Elmwood St., altering outcome involving cheating at a card game.
• Mark Anthony Anderson, no age or address listed, failure to provide support and maintenance for his child. The case was handled by the Mississippi Attorney General’s office.
• Alvin Coleman Christon, 41, 279 Ironwood Drive, and James David Whatley, 35, 216 John Glenn Road, possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute. Christon was also charged with possession of a weapon after felony conviction.
• Jonah Lee Ragan, 22, 4303 Tanglewood Drive Lot 2, DUI — aggravated, involving a wreck in which another person was injured.
• Tana Elizabeth Starnes, 21, 1108 Nuttingham Road, four counts of possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute and one count of possession of a stolen firearm.
• Frisco Dontay Lyon, 31, 10520 Mississippi 15 South, Louisville, grand larceny.
• Pink Andrews, 53, 105 Red Oak Drive, fourth-offense DUI.
• William Donald Adams, 48, 3805 Washington St., burglary.
• Corey Hicks, 27, 1319 China St., possession of a controlled substance.
• David Antonio Hawkins, 1060 Griff Circle Trail No. 19, Port Gibson, possession of a controlled substance and possession of a stolen firearm.
• Sherman L. Rose, 39, 287 First Ave., two counts credit card fraud.