Indicted teen among 6 charged in burglary
Published 6:27 pm Friday, June 1, 2018
A Vicksburg man recently indicted for attempted statutory rape has been charged, along with six teenagers in the burglary of a home in which a number of guns were stolen, Vicksburg police Sgt. Johnnie Edwards said.
Tyree Lydell Miller, 19, 102 Elm Lane, is charged with residential burglary, conspiracy to commit a felony and directing a youth to commit a felony. He is being held in the Warren County Jail in lieu of $40,000 bond.
Email newsletter signup
Miller is accused with six juveniles ages 15 to 17 in the Tuesday burglary of a home in the 200 block of Azalea Lane, in which rifles, a shotgun, a handgun, a knife and 750 rounds of 7.62 mm ammunition were taken.
They are also believed to have been involved in the burglary a storage unit on Fisher Ferry Road in which a power tool and a safe with .357 Magnum and .38-caliber ammunition were taken. That burglary also occurred Tuesday.
The teens were arrested Wednesday after police executed a search warrant on an apartment at the Azalea Trace Apartments, 320 Fisher Ferry Road, seizing at least seven guns and ammunition. Edwards said the search warrant was the result of a tip from a concerned citizen who contacted a police officer.
Miller was just indicted by a Warren County grand jury on the attempted rape charge, which involved sexual activity with two girls who were 14 at the time of the encounter.
In another case, Mercedes Elyse Ellis, 23, 1052 Rankin Road, Lorman, and Kendrick Derrell Adams 31, 2223 Willow Dale Lane, Gray, Louisiana, are charged with the Wednesday burglary of a car parked at the Ameristar Casino, 4116 Washington St. Ellis is also charged with two counts of contempt of court.
Ellis was transferred to Clinton, where she faces burglary charges. Adams was being held in the Warren County Jail in lieu of $25,000 bond.
They are accused of taking a purse with $8,500 in cash and a $1,100 ring and jewelry from the car while the owners were looking at the river. They were later stopped in Claiborne County and taken into custody Thursday. Police recovered the purse and jewelry but did not find the money or the $1,100 ring.
In other cases:
• Eight Samsung TVs, a DVR, set of golf clubs valued at $800, a red tool box, two 55-inch Samsung TVs, two rifles, a Direct TV box, cables and a tarpaulin, and an armoire valued at $2,000 were reported taken about 5:21 p.m. Thursday from Dirt Works, 222 Warrenton Road.
• $50 was reported taken about 5:32 p.m. Thursday from a home in the 3200 block of Victory Avenue.
Police made the following arrests Thursday:
• Stephanie Margaret Merritt, 35, 660 Standard Hill Road, was arrested about 1:08 a.m. in the 4100 block of Washington Street on a charge of trespassing.
• Roger Lee Mongomery, 27, 6292 Belknap Road, Edwards, was arrested about 10:57 a.m. at Harrison and Vick streets on charges of seatbelt violation, no proof of insurance, possession of marijuana in a vehicle, and driving with a suspended license.
• Belinda Lee Morgan, 53, 2954 Arcadia Place, was arrested about 3:30 p.m. at the Vicksburg Police Department on a charge of theft of utilities.
• Tammy Lyn Lipscomb. 49, 445 Lake Hill Drive, was arrested about 6:25 p.m. on a charge of first-offense DUI and careless driving.
• A car radio was reported taken about 4:52 p.m. Tuesday from a 2000 Chevrolet parked at the New Main Apartments, 2727 Alcorn Drive.
Vicksburg police made the following arrests Tuesday through Wednesday:
• Conti Lashaun Tillis, 25, 130 Lightcap Blvd., was arrested about 8:40 a.m. Tuesday at the Vicksburg Police Department on a charge of possession of a weapon on school property.
• Warrants were served Tuesday on Jacquata Aja Parker, 23, 1900 Baldwin Ferry Road.
• A warrant was served Tuesday on J’Darius Rashad White, 23, 1900 Baldwin Ferry Road Apt. 12C.
• Dorniesha Lashall Qualls, 20, 520 Berryman Road Lot 11, was arrested about 5:49 p.m. at Main and Openwood streets on a charge of disorderly conduct.
• Australia Renee Hawkins, 20, 1605 Military Ave., was arrested about 5:49 p.m. Tuesday at Main and Openwood streets on a charge of disorderly conduct.
• Airris Keyairra Walker, 23, 1214 Main St., was arrested about 6:03 p.m. Tuesday at Main and Openwood streets on a charge of disorderly conduct.
• Javis Dewayne Dixon, 22, 807 Mosley Gap Road, was arrested about 5:28 p.m. Tuesday in the 1800 block of Clay Street on charges of simple assault-creating fear and contempt of court.
• Daraysha Lashae Montgomery, 25, No. 3 Lydia Place, was arrested about 9:30 p.m. at Cherry and Holly streets on a charge of simple assault-creating fear.