City firefighters respond to two fires

Published 5:21 pm Saturday, September 22, 2018


Food left unattended on a stove is thought to be the cause of an early morning fire Saturday that damaged a kitchen in an apartment at the Parkwood South Apartments, 510 Bazinsky Road.

The fire was reported to 911 about 3:22 a.m. Saturday and firefighters arrived to find light smoke coming from the apartment. No one was injured.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Engines 2, 8, Ladder truck 3 and an ambulance responded to the call.

The fire was the second apartment fire to occur in less than 24 hours.

About 2 p.m. Friday, firefighters were called to a fire in an apartment on King Drive in the Waltersville Apartments complex.

Fire Chief Craig Danczyk said workers for AT&T who were installing cable in an apartment noticed smoke coming from the wall in an upstairs bedroom of the apartment. The installers called the contractor remodeling the building, who cut a small opening in the wall and found smoldering insulation and a wire on fire and called 911.

A pumper from the city’s Waltersville station and a truck from Station 6 responded and extinguished the fire. No one was injured.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John