Plumber was working with torch when vacant house caught fire

Published 7:00 pm Monday, October 8, 2018

An open flame from a torch is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a home at 633 Hutson Street Monday morning.

The fire occurred about 9:15 a.m. Monday.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Vicksburg Fire Chief Craig Danczyk said a plumber working in the attic of the vacant home told firefighters he was in the attic of the house using the torch to sweat copper pipes to connect them when he heard a cracking sound and the ceiling gave way with him falling to the floor with the torch, which apparently ignited something combustible on the floor.

Danczyk said the house was inundated in the 2011 flood, when floodwaters covered it up to the roof. He said the fire was discovered by paramedics and firefighters responding to a medic call from the plumber, who managed to get out of the house. Danczyk said firefighters on Truck 9 assisting on the medic call reported the house fire, saying it was fully involved.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John