Man leaves kerosene heater unattended; fire destroys home

Published 8:00 pm Wednesday, November 14, 2018

A kerosene heater is believed to be the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a home on Buck Street Wednesday.

The fire occurred about 1:30 p.m. Vicksburg Fire Chief Craig Danczyk said the occupant of the home told firefighters he lit the heater and left to go to McDonald’s. When he returned, the house was on fire, and a Vicksburg police officer responding to the call reported flames coming from the building as he arrived.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

The occupant, Alfred Gaskin, said the house was owned by a family member and he was staying there. The house did not have electrical service.

No one was injured.

Engine 6, Ladder 3, Platform 1, rescue and an ambulance responded to the call.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John