Home heavily damaged in Tuesday night fire

Published 2:45 pm Wednesday, May 8, 2019

A malfunctioning clothes dryer was the cause of a Tuesday night fire that heavily damaged a home at 122 Alfred Drive.

Vicksburg Fire Chief Craig Danczyk said the fire, which was called in at 8:44 p.m., started in the dryer, damaging the laundry room of the house. It spread to the attic and then to the rest of the house. He said the occupants of the house escaped without injury and no firefighters were injured.

Danczyk said the fire also burned through a power line going to the home, forcing firefighters to work around the live electrical line, and a nearby house had heat damage from the fire.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John