Jefferson indicted for shooting his wife in January
A Vicksburg man has been indicted on a charge of aggravated assault-extreme indifference in the shooting of his estranged wife.
Milton Ray Jefferson, 61, 379 Hutson St., is accused in the January 2019 shooting his estranged wife, Victoria Jefferson, after she refused to talk with him in a convenience store on Halls Ferry Road.
According to police reports, Jefferson saw her in the store and went inside to talk to her. She refused and left the store with Jefferson following her outside. Somewhere between Coccaros Alley and the store, he shot her in the back.
Jefferson later turned himself in to police and gave officers a .380-caliber handgun believed used in the shooting. He was later released on a $175,000 bond.
In another case, Zachary Allen Brooks, 22, 211 Drusilla Lane, and Justin C. Tilley, 17, 100 Stafford Drive, Delta, La., are charged in a multiple count indictment involving a May 12 incident in which they attempted to elude Warren County sheriff’s deputies.
The pair face two counts of vehicle burglary, one count of fleeing or eluding a law enforcement officer and aggravated assault on a police officer-extreme indifference.
Brooks is also charged as a habitual offender because he has two previous felony convictions.
According to sheriff’s office reports, deputies received a tip on May 12 through Crime Stoppers that the pair were traveling in the area in a gold Buick Century.
A car matching that description was seen by deputies about 5:30 p.m. at the intersection of Halls Ferry and Fisher Ferry roads.
Deputies attempted to stop the car, which went south on Halls Ferry Road. As the chase neared a subdivision, the Buick containing the pair rammed a marked sheriff’s unit.
The car later broke down and Brooks and Tilley fled on foot into the subdivision with deputies in pursuit. Deputies also set up roadblocks and stopped and checked cars driving in the area.
They were later arrested after they were found hiding in linen drawers under beds in a trailer.
Other indictments include:
• John D. Jennings, 45, 1159 Pike County 93 South, Osyka; two counts aggravated assault on a police officer-extreme indifference. Jennings is accused of shooting a gun in the direction of two Warren County sheriff’s deputies.
• Cody Dean Ashley, 27, 409 Silver Creek Drive; possession of cocaine.
• James Clinton Edwards III, 39, 130 Tarnertown Road, Lucedale; possession of methamphetamine. He is indicted as a habitual offender.
• Jason Bradley Shirk, 44, 1165 Standard Hill Road; possession of methamphetamine.
• Jackie Jodon Duff, 39, 133 Pine Ridge Road, West Monroe, La.; possession of marijuana.
• Johnny Earl Thomas, 34, 1312 Martin Luther King Blvd.; possession of contraband within a jail or correctional facility. He is accused of having a cell phone in the Warren County Jail.
• Randy Lyons, 60, 408 Liberty St., Brookhaven; two counts uttering a forgery. He is accused of attempting to pass forged checks for $2,955.38 and $2,155.38 drawn on a business account.
• Leon Rodgers, 47, 2508A Ken Karyl Ave.; domestic aggravated assault-strangling. He is accused of assaulting and strangling a woman he was dating.
• Jerald Glenn Smith, a.k.a Jerald Carter, 48, 3112 North Washington St.; domestic aggravated assault-strangling. He is accused of assaulting an ex-girlfriend. He was indicted as a habitual offender.
• Roderick Bennett, 37, 4407 Halls Ferry Road; domestic aggravated assault-strangling. He is accused of assaulting and strangling a child.
• Anthony Dwayne Hall, 42, 609 Rigby St.; molesting involving a person under the age of 18.
• James Dearl Trimble, 29, 48 356 Highway, Rienzi, fleeing or eluding a law enforcement officer and possession of a weapon after felony conviction.
• Keandre Da’Shawn Harris, 18, 108 Foy Circle, and Tyree Lydell Miller, 20, 102 Elm Lane; non-residential burglary.
• David M. Emerson, 28, 351 Bayou Blvd.; grand larceny.
• Christian M. Chandler, 20, 676 Massey Road; larceny-motor vehicle.
• Walter Cousins, 58, 225 Tucker Road, and Steven L. Elrod, 31, 171 Freeman Lane; grand larceny and non-residential burglary.
• Taylor Ray Bailey, 29, 539 Dexter Drive, Flowood; receiving stolen property.
• Mose Arone Hearron, 38, 1122 First North St.; possession of a weapon after felony conviction.