Community calendar: Plenty of events, meetings taking place
Published 9:01 am Thursday, September 26, 2019
Friday, September 27
- The annual Vicksburg Realtor Golf Tournament will be Saturday, Sept. 28 from 1-4 p.m. at the Vicksburg Country Club, 127 Country Club Drive. This event is hosted by the Vicksburg-Warren County Board of Realtors and proceeds benefit The Warrior Bonfire Program. The cost is $90 per player or $325 per team (register in advance). You may also pay $400 for a team registration and a hole sponsor sign. To sign up or sponsor, call Nevada Bob’s Golf at 601-713-1700. For more information on the tournament, call 601-618-5351.
Saturday, September 28
- The inaugural NAMI Vicksburg Mental Health Awareness Walk and Wellness Fair will be Saturday, Sept. 28 inside the Vicksburg mall on Pemberton. Check-in at 7 a.m. for the walk and at 8 a.m. for the other activities. The walk is to raise awareness & needed funds to provide NAMI Vicksburg’s mental health education classes and support groups at no charge to the community. Register for free online at www.namiwalks.org/vicksburg. To reserve a free vendor table, email email@example.com or contact chair Deloris McGee at 601-738-1554.
- Paws for Cars, an open car show to benefit Paws Rescue, will be held Saturday, Sept. 28 at the Hampton Inn & Suites parking lot. If those interesting in taking part register before Saturday, Sept. 21, the cost is $15 per car or truck. Or you can register the day of the show for $20. Donations of money and/or dog food will be accepted at the event. Several items will be raffled off during this family-friendly event. For more information, see our Paws for Cars Facebook page, or call 601-831-2008.
- The Vicksburg National Military Park, 3201 Clay St., will offer free admission in honor of National Public Lands Day. In addition to free admission, National Public Lands Day is a call for volunteerism at our nation’s parks. Groups will be meeting in the USS Cairo Museum parking lot at 7:30 a.m. to sign in. Work will be from 8 a.m. until noon. Lunch will be provided from noon until 1 p.m. For more information, call 601-636-0583.
- Sports Force Parks on the Mississippi, 255 Fisher Ferry Rd., will host the inaugural Buckos Bar-B-Que Challenge Saturday, Sept. 28. This event will attract top pitmasters from across the region for a competition with a $1,000 grand prize. Additional prizes are also available. Early bird registration is $175, with normal registration set at $200. There will be a $10 gate fee for guests, with proceeds going to support the Warren County Long Term Recovery Committee. For more information or to register visit bit.ly/2019buckobbqchallenge.
- The Old Court House Museum, 1008 Cherry St., will host Night at the Museum Saturday, Sept. 28 from 7-9 p.m. This event features historical reenactments of characters from Vicksburg’s past. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children in grades kindergarten through 12th. Light refreshments will be provided. For more information, call 601-636-0741.
- New Mount Pilgrim Baptist Church will host its 23rd annual Deacons Program Saturday, Sept. 28 at 6 p.m. The public is invited. The guest speaker will be Rev. Walter Edley, pastor of Gospel Temple M.B. Church.
- Mountain of Faith Ministries will present a free homebuyer education workshop with certificate Saturday, Sept. 28 at Mountain of Faith Ministries, 1529 Walnut Street from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Space is limited. Call Annie Green at 601-501-4508 for reservation.
Sunday, September 29
- The Vicksburg Blues Challenge will be Sunday, Sept. 29 from 2-9 p.mm at Ameristar’s Bottleneck Blues Bar, 4116 South Washington St. This is a sanctioned regional preliminary competition leading to the International Blues Challenge 2020. The public is invited. Guests and entrants must be 21 or older to participate. For more information, call 601-634-6179.
- Mount Zion M.B. Church No. 4 and Mount Zion Eagle Lake M.B. Church will have their pastor The Rev. Luster Lacey’s 5th year Pastoral Anniversary at 1 p.m. at 122 Union Ave. The Rev. Dr. Leonard Walker will be the guest speaker. Dinner will be served.
- The Warren County Baptist Association will host a fifth Sunday fundraiser Sunday, Sept. 29 at Zion Travelers M.B. Church, 1701 Poplar St. beginning at 4 p.m. Pastor Alfred Lassiter Jr. will bring the message.
- The St. Paul Church in Bovina, 437 Tiffintown Road, will have a free garage sale for the entire family (including lots of baby items: newborn to 9 months and toddler sizes) immediately following the 11 a.m. worship service. The public is invited.
- Mount Carmel M.B. Church, 2629 Alma St., will hold 5th Sunday Youth Praise and Worship Services, Sunday, Sept. 29 at 11 a.m. The guest speaker will be Walter Beaman Sr.
- Combined Community Sunday School will be held Sunday, Sept. 29 at Bethlehem M. B. Church, 3305 North Washington St., at 9:30 a.m. Pleasant Valley and Travis Chapel AME Church are also participating.
Monday, September 30
- Trinity Temple, 1063 Meadow St., will host its revival beginning Monday, Sept. 30 and continuing through Wednesday, Oct. 2. Services will be at 7 p.m. each evening. Rev. Julian Lott, senior pastor of Koinonia of Grace Church of Camden, Ark. will be the speaker.
- William Furlong Monday, Sept. 30 for a Classic French Cooking Workshop at the Southern Cultural Heritage Foundation, 1302 Adams St. Learn some history, technique and sample classic dishes. In this workshop, attendees will make crepes with savory and sweet fillings, risotto and other French favorites. The class will be from 5:30-7:30 pm at SCHC. The workshop fee is $35 for SCHF members and $40 for non-members. Bring your favorite bottle of French wine or Champagne to pair with the delicious foods that will be prepared and sampled. Reservations are required. For more information, please contact the SCHF office at 631-2997 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 10th annual Bricks and Spokes bike ride will begin at 8 a.m. Sept. 28 at the Washington Street Park and will include 10-mile, 30-mile, 50-mile and 62-mile routes through Vicksburg, across the Old Mississippi River Bridge and Louisiana. The cost to participate is $40 or $45 after Sept. 1. All bikes are welcomed as well as skill levels. For more information or to register, call 601-634-4527, email, email@example.com or visit, bricksandspokes.racesonline.com.
Tuesday, October 1
- A Night to Unite is a National Night Out event scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 1 from 5-8 p.m. at the city park pavilion, 100 Army Navy Drive. National Night Out is an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships and neighborhood associations. This is a free event and the public is invited. It will feature free food and games. A police car and fire truck will be on display.
Thursday, October 3
- The Joseph Warren Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution will have its October meeting on Thursday, Oct. 3. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. at Goldies Trail BBQ on the South Frontage Road in Vicksburg. The speaker will be Stewart Herron who will speak on “Events that led to the Revolutionary War.” Meals can be ordered off of the menu. Visitors are welcome
Saturday, October 5
- The Ashmead Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution meeting will be held Oct. 5 at the Warren County-Vicksburg Library at 10 a.m. The guest speaker will be Cindy Mangum who will present a program on the DAR Insignia. Prospective members are invited to attend.
- Hawkins United Methodist Men will hold its semi-annual BBQ chicken dinner Saturday, Oct. 5 at the church on Hall Ferry Road. Lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., eat-in or take out. Tickets are $10 and are available at the church office now and will be sold at the lunch site. Plates will consist of half-chicken, baked beans, coleslaw, dessert and tea. The mission team will be holding a rummage sale. The United Methodist Women will have a bake sale, and plants will be available for purchase. The Garage, Bake and Plant sale will run from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m.
Wednesday, October 9
- Mississippi Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ 8th annual Fields of Faith will be Wednesday, Oct. 8 at 6:30 p.m. at St. Aloysius’ football stadium. Fields of Faith is a meeting between community high schools. The athletes and coaches come together and give testimonies about what God is doing in their lives. Guest speaker is Arthur “Bo Bo” Harris, a Vicksburg native now living in Atlanta. For more information, call 601-831-1113 or (601) 218-7735.
Thursday, October 10
- Coach Alonzo Stevens will host a Vicksburg Warren School District town hall meeting on Thursday, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m. at Vicksburg Housing Authority, 700 Veto St. The public is invited to attend.
Saturday, October 19
- The Southern Cultural Heritage Center will present “A Nightmare on Crawford Street” Saturday, Oct. 19 from 7-10 p.m. The event will feature the “Monster Bash” Halloween Party and a haunted Halloween Ghost Hunt with the Mississippi Paranormal Society. There will be delicious food, signature cocktails and a costume contest. Tickets are $25 per person or $40 per couple. A purchase of six-to-8 tickets will reserve a table. For tickets, call the SCHF business office at 601-631-2997 or purchase tickets on Eventbrite.com.
Monday, October 21
- Celebrating Awareness luncheon with Dr. LaFarra Young-Gaylor, Depression Awareness and Education will be Monday, Oct. 21 at noon at Pemberton Event Center, 5 Pemberton Place (behind Shoneys). The event is sponsored by Judge Toni Terrett and Attorney Kim Nailor and is open to the public. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a reservation.
Saturday, October 26
- The Vicksburg Police Department and the Drug Enforcement Agency are sponsoring a National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day event Saturday, Oct. 26 at Walgreens Pharmacy, 3341 Halls Ferry Road, and Walmart, 2150 Iowa Blvd. The events will be held in the parking lots at both locations and will be from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. All interactions are anonymous. Each collection site will accept narcotics, over-the-counter medications, prescription medications and vitamins.
Sunday, October 27
- Bovina Baptist Church, 5293 Highway 80, will host an Emergency Personnel Appreciation Banquet Sunday, Oct. 27 at 6 p.m. All emergency personnel and their immediate families are invited. Reserve a spot by calling 601-636-0682 or by emailing email@example.com.
Thursday, November 7
- Coach Alonzo Stevens will host a Vicksburg Warren School District town hall meeting Thursday, Nov. 7 at 6 p.m. at Kings Community Center, 224 R.L. Chase St. The public is invited to attend.
To submit an item for the community calendar, email the item to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop the information off at The Post’s office at 1601-E N. Frontage Road.