Local, state candidates set to attend candidate forum
Warren County voters will have the opportunity to question candidates on different issues before the Nov. 5 general election at a candidate forum Thursday at the Warren County Courthouse.
Sponsored by Vicksburg Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Blacks in Government and the Vicksburg Branch of the NAACP, the forum is 6 p.m. in the circuit courtroom on the second floor of the courthouse.
“We have been doing the forums for about 15 years,” forum chairman Gertrude Young said. “This is the second one we’ve had this year. The first was in August for the primary election.”
Young said candidates will be allowed two minutes to give their platform, followed by a question and answer period where they will respond to questions from the audience. Young said the questions must be in writing and will be screened prior to the forum.
The candidates will be allowed another two minutes at the close of the forum for final comments.
Candidates expected to attend the forum include:
• Jay Hughes, lieutenant governor
• State Sen. Willie Simmons, Central District Transportation Commission
• Jennifer Riley Collins, attorney general
• Sheriff candidates Martin Pace and Joseph Stubbs
• John Arnold and Edward Herring, District 1 supervisor
• William Banks and Stan Collins, District 2 supervisor
• Shawn Jackson and David Sharp, District 3 supervisor
• Marty Crevitt and Jeff Holland, District 4 supervisor
• Kelle Barfield and Richard George District 5 supervisor
• Ken Harper, Richard Johnson and Stephen McMillin, county prosecutor
Rain slick roads contributed to a series of wrecks Monday on Interstate 20 beginning about 1 p.m. and ending about... read more