Vicksburg man indicted in connection to May shooting
A Vicksburg man has been indicted by the Warren County grand jury on multiple counts involving the May 3 shooting of another man in the area of Washington and Beresford streets.
The three-count indictment charges Herbert Lee “Maury” Norfort, 29, 49 Smith Road, with aggravated assault, drive-by shooting and possession of a weapon after felony conviction. He is charged as a habitual offender.
Norfort is accused of shooting Jason Shelton after an argument.
According to Vicksburg police reports, officers responding to a call about 4:33 p.m. May 3 about a shooting victim in the 2700 block of Oak Street arrived to find Shelton with a gunshot wound to his upper body lying in the yard of a house.
Shelton, according to police, said he was involved in an argument with Norfort earlier in the day and left walking from an address on Dabney Street.
He was walking in the area of Washington and Beresford streets when a silver Chevrolet Impala approached him and he was shot. Shelton ran to the Oak Street location where he collapsed.
He later told police “Maury” — Norfort shot him.
Other indictments include:
• Bennie Minnifield, 51, 703 Clay St.; aggravated assault-domestic violence.
• Brandon Reginald Yepez, 26, 210 West President Ave., Greenwood; felony bad check, $100 or more.
• Jermaine Johnson, 41, 717 National St.; possession of a weapon after felony conviction. He is charged as a habitual offender because he had prior felony convictions.
• Ernest J. Jones, 64, 737 Dabney St., and Damon Leroy Bryant, 26, 1840 Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd.; manufacture of a controlled substance-marijuana.
• William Brister, 48, 3030 Davis Road, Benton; possession of a controlled substance-methamphetamine.
• Heather Lashay Hearn, 41, 153 Deer Ridge Road Lot T3; sale of a controlled substance-methamphetamine.
• Melissa Nicole Shiers, 40, 4936 Warriors Trail, and Merle Glenn Kirkley, 35, 1979 Culkin Road; one count larceny of a motor vehicle, one count receiving stolen property. Shiers and Kirkley were charged as habitual offenders because each has prior felony convictions.
• Eddy Boyd King, 37, 5522 Tallow Barry Drive, Dallas, Texas; Louis Edward Coleman, 34, 3709 Marshall Drive Apt. 202, Dallas, Texas; and Cuaderes Garnet Brown, 26, 8410 Southwest Marlin Road, Riverside, Ala.; one count conspiracy to commit a felony and two counts non-residential burglary. The charges involve the December break-ins of the Corner Market, 3046 Indiana Ave., and the Hanes Store, 4000 I-20 South Frontage Road Suite 115.
A suspect tied to a January 2018 auto theft appeared in court Thursday and was placed under a $25,000 bond.... read more