Hinds a perfect place to begin careers for Vicksburg siblings

Published 7:10 am Thursday, December 19, 2019

PEARL — De’Harvey and Ke’Harvey Gary, both of Vicksburg, are fraternal twins, though they’re often mistaken for one another.

 “We just hope to get started going into the welding technology program soon,” Ke’Harvey said.

Each earned a career certificate from Hinds Community College during fall graduation exercises Dec. 18 at the Muse Center on the Rankin Campus.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am

Hinds awarded a total of 1,316 credentials to 958 graduates during the three ceremonies, with some graduates receiving more than one credential.

Of the fall graduates, 158 achieved cum laude, 3.2 to 3.59 grade point average; 95 achieved magna cum laude, 3.6 to 3.99 GPA and 124 achieved summa cum laude, 4.0 grade point average.

The speaker for all three graduations was Phil Cockrell, Raymond Campus Engineering and Drafting Design Technology instructor who was selected as Hinds Community College’s HEADWAE honoree for 2020.

In his remarks, Cockrell told graduates to consider “why” they are on the path they have chosen. Quoting noted pastor and author Charles Swindoll, Cockrell noted that 10 percent of life is what happens and the other 90 percent is how you react to it.

“Challenges present an awesome opportunity to choose who you want to be by how you react to those challenges,” Cockrell said.