• 81°

City to move forward with contract for annual fireworks show

During Friday’s Board of Mayor and Aldermen meeting, South Ward Alderman Alex Monsour confirmed the city was moving ahead with plans for the annual Fourth of July fireworks show.

“We are going to be proactive and get this city back on track,” Monsour said, adding the fireworks show is part of returning to normal and helping downtown merchants.

Monsour said that July, which is among the hottest months of the year, will provide an opportunity for residents to enjoy downtown and being outside while also being able to spread out and social distance.

The contract for the fireworks show was originally scheduled for a vote during last week’s board meeting but was pulled ahead of the meeting.

“We’re just looking out for the budget and any shortfalls we might be having because we have to look out for every dollar bill we’ve got,” Monsour said at the time the contract was pulled from the agenda.

The contract, which is with Pyroman, is $45,000.

The show, Monsour said, brings 10,000-to-15,000 people annually downtown.

“I want people downtown, spread out,” Monsour said Friday ahead of the board’s vote on the contract. “When was the last time families had the chance to get out and enjoy time outdoors like this?”