Jacques’ allowed to reopen after meeting with mayor, chief

Published 2:51 pm Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Jacques’ Bar, 1306 Washington St., has been allowed to reopen following a Sunday morning disturbance that led to shots being fired outside the business on Washington Street.

Mayor George Flaggs Jr. said the bar was allowed to reopen Monday after its management signed a memorandum of understanding after a meeting with him and Police Chief Milton Moore. The agreement was expected to be approved Wednesday by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.

Police responding to a call of a disturbance at the bar Sunday at 1 a.m. arrived on the scene and learned a fight had just taken place inside the bar that led to shots being fired outside on Washington Street.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

A concerned citizen provided a video that showed a male subject taking a rifle from his vehicle and firing shots into the air. Police arrested three people in connection with the incident.

Jacob Daniel Morgan, 30, of Vicksburg, was charged with discharging a weapon within city limits, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and public drunkenness.

Hillary Anne Sellars, 31, of Vicksburg, was arrested for disorderly conduct.

Jeffrey James, 41, of Vicksburg, was arrested for disturbing the peace.

Jacques was shut down by the city in December 2018 following a shooting that took place early in the morning on Christmas Eve. The incident reportedly happened outside the establishment where an employee Christmas party had been held.

It was allowed to reopen the day after Christmas.

Mayor George Flaggs Jr. said after the meeting on the December incident that Parmegiani already had the proper security and safety procedures in place and had them in place during a private party that was going on at the time the reported shooting occurred. No shots were fired in the business, police said. 

“As far as I’m concerned, he used all the precautions he should have used and he had adequate security. It’s just unfortunate those persons involved were in his establishment that night,” Flaggs said after the meeting.


About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John