Officials: Knocked over candle ignites morning apartment fire

Published 4:35 pm Thursday, April 15, 2021

A lit candle knocked over in a bedroom was the cause of an early Thursday morning fire that destroyed two apartments at the Azalea Trace Apartments on Fisher Ferry Road.

Warren County Fire Coordinator Jerry Briggs said an individual in the bedroom knocked the candle over, causing it to fall on the floor, where it ignited several items. The residents of the apartment were unable to extinguish the fire and ran out of the apartment. The apartments had electricity, he said.

The fire occurred about 6:26 a.m. and the first firefighters on the scene reported heavy fire coming from two top floor apartments on one end of complex’s building No. 7. All the occupants of the building managed to get out before firefighters arrived.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

“It was fully involved,” Briggs said. “We contained the fire to the two apartments.”

He said firefighters checked the ceiling of an adjacent apartment, adding it had smoke damage. The other top floor apartments were not damaged, he said, and the apartments on the lower level had water damage from the fire.

He said the fire rekindled later in the day but was in one spot in the burned apartments and quickly extinguished.

Briggs said the American Red Cross was called to help with people displaced by the fire.

Fisher Ferry, Bovina, Culkin and Northeast firefighters and the Vicksburg Fire Department responded to the fire.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John