City of Vicksburg approves engineer contract for erosion work at Iowa Boulevard and U.S. 61 South

Published 1:49 pm Friday, September 10, 2021

The Vicksburg Board of Mayor and Aldermen have hired a Jackson engineering firm to prepare the design for an erosion control project near the intersection of Iowa Boulevard and U.S. 61 South.

The board Friday approved an $83,121 contact with TRC Engineers to perform the engineering and design for the repair of an erosion problem on Iowa Boulevard near McDonald’s that occurred after a series of heavy rains in the Warren County area in February 2020.

“This is a FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) project,” City Attorney Nancy Thomas said. “There are two large pipes (culverts) that go under Iowa Boulevard that need to be replaced and a concrete headwall.”

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am

The project is one of eight areas damaged during heavy rains that hit the area in 2020. The estimated cost for the work is $318,248 and is funded in part by a FEMA grant that pays 75 percent of the project’s eligible costs with the city paying the remaining 25 percent and the state covering half of the city’s match.

The grant is a reimbursement grant, which means the city will for the work and be reimbursed by FEMA. It is one of eight erosion control projects in the city, funded by FEMA grants.

The board in March approved borrowing $4 million to begin work on the projects. The loan will be repaid using the FEMA money.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John