How They Did: Vicksburg’s college football players
Published 4:20 pm Sunday, October 3, 2021
A weekly recap of performances by college football players from Vicksburg-area high schools
• West Alabama offensive lineman Kordell Watts (Vicksburg High) started at center and helped the undefeated Tigers put up 449 yards of offense in a 38-20 victory over West Georgia.
• West Alabama defensive back Lamar Gray (Warren Central) had seven tackles and four pass breakups in the win over West Georgia.
• Albany State wide receiver Joe Shorter (Warren Central) caught one pass — an 18-yard touchdown — in a 31-3 win over Miles College.
• Reinhardt University defensive tackle Vertez Shorter (Warren Central) had three tackles in a 40-16 victory against Ave Maria.
• Ole Miss offensive lineman Ben Brown (St. Aloysius) started his 38th consecutive game in the Rebels’ 42-21 loss to No. 1 Alabama.
• Mississippi College kicker Jance Riley (Central Hinds Academy) went 5-for-5 on PATs in a 42-21 win over North Greenville.
• Mississippi Valley State wide receiver Jacory Rankin (Port Gibson) caught seven passes for 80 yards, including a 44-yard reception to set up the game-winning touchdown, in the Delta Devils’ 17-16 victory against North Carolina Central.
• Southern Miss wide receiver Demarcus Jones (Warren Central) caught two passes for 23 yards in a 24-19 loss to Rice.
• Grambling defensive back Myron Stewart (Port Gibson) had three tackles in a 37-28 victory against Alabama A&M.