HOUSE FIRE: Faulty wiring possible cause of mobile home fire in Warren County

Published 3:40 pm Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Faulty wiring behind the kitchen stove is believed to be the cause of a fire that damaged a mobile home at 110 Deer Ridge Road.

Warren County Fire Coordinator Jerry Briggs said Culkin volunteer firefighters were notified of the blaze about 12:04 p.m. on Tuesday.

“A neighbor called and reported he saw smoke coming out of the eaves and that there was possibly a woman inside,” he said.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

When he and Warren County sheriff’s deputies arrived at the home, Briggs said, they saw a woman coming out of the house covered with soot and flames in the kitchen area. He added that Culkin firefighter Lee Williams, who had arrived at the scene, was able to get in the house and extinguish the fire, containing it to the kitchen.

Briggs said the woman told authorities she had been asleep and woke up to a house full of smoke. He said she was examined by Vicksburg Fire Department paramedics at the scene, but refused to go to the hospital. He said a cat in the house was overcome with smoke and died.

Briggs said Warren County Emergency Management has called the Red Cross to provide the woman with assistance.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John