Fire damages home on Speed Street in Vicksburg

Published 4:13 pm Friday, February 4, 2022

A faulty electric space heater is believed to have been the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a house at 1012 Speed St. Friday morning.

Authorities were notified of the fire by a 911 call at 9:46 a.m. and firefighters were dispatched at 9:47. Vicksburg Fire Chief Craig Danczyk, who was the first to arrive at the scene, said flames were showing and the occupants of the house were being assisted by a good Samaritan who helped them get away from the blaze.

Smoke from the fire could be seen as far away as Belmont Street.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am

“The good Samaritan was something that was needed,” Danczyk said. “She helped them get out of harm’s way.”

He said the occupants of the home said they heard a noise like a boom or pop and the room was on fire. None of the occupants were injured and damage was contained to the house and a car in the driveway.

Besides Danczyk, Engines 6, 7, Ladder 14, rescue, an ambulance, Deputy Chiefs Trey Martin and Derrick Stamps, fire investigator Nathaniel Williams, Warren County Emergency Management Director John Elfer and Deputy Director Tracy Porter and County Fire Coordinator Jerry Briggs were at the fire.

Elfer said Porter was able to get the Red Cross to assist the victims.

About John Surratt

John Surratt is a graduate of Louisiana State University with a degree in general studies. He has worked as an editor, reporter and photographer for newspapers in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. He has been a member of The Vicksburg Post staff since 2011 and covers city government. He and his wife attend St. Paul Catholic Church and he is a member of the Port City Kiwanis Club.

email author More by John