• 27°

From April 3, 2001


CLEVELAND, Ohio Services for Ben Perkins Sr. were at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Cummings and Davis Funeral Home in Cleveland, Ohio. Burial followed at Cleveland Memorial Gardens.

Mr. Perkins died Thursday, March 29, 2001, at Hospice of Western Reserve in Cleveland. He was 77.

Mr. Perkins was a Vicksburg native.

He is survived by his wife, Fannie Perkins of Cleveland; two sons, Ben Perkins Jr. of Los Angeles and Michael Tucker of Ohio; four stepsons; three stepdaughters; three brothers, Albert Lee Perkins and Melvin Perkins Sr., both of Vicksburg, and Robert McCoy of Chicago; four sisters, Mary Fenderson of New Orleans and Irene Johnson, Ollie Whitaker and Thelma Jones, all of Vicksburg; grandchildren; great-grandchildren; and other relatives and friends.


JACKSON Services for Thomas O. Prewitt Jr. were Saturday at Baldwin-Lee Funeral Home in Jackson.

Mr. Prewitt died Thursday, March 29, 2001, at his home in Jackson. He was 66.

He was a former Vicksburg resident. He graduated from Carr Central High School and Millsaps College. He attended graduate school at Florida State University.

He was preceded in death by his parents, the Rev. T.O. and Lois Miner Prewitt; and a sister, Dorothy Prewitt.

He is survived by his wife, Irma B. Prewitt of Jackson; a son, Thomas O. Prewitt III of Florence; a daughter, Susan P. Martin of Brandon; a brother, Jim Prewitt of Tucker, Ga.; a sister, Ida Francis Waring of Vicksburg; and two grandsons.

Memorials may be made to the Mississippi Animal Rescue League, 4395 South Drive, Jackson, MS 39209.


Sybil White Sanders died Monday, April 2, 2001, at Vicksburg Medical Center. She was 84. Mrs. Sanders was a graduate of the Miss Louise S. McGee’s School for Fine Young Ladies in New Orleans and All Saints’ Episcopal School. She worked at the Old Court House Museum as corresponding secretary until her retirement. She was a secretary for the Confederate Air Force and the VFW Auxiliary, a member of the Board of Directors of the Old Court House Museum and the Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation. She was a member of First Baptist Church, where she taught Sunday school and was a member of the friendship club, TEL class, women’s missionary union and the joy fellowship club.

She was preceded in death by her husband, O’Neal Sanders; a son, John O’Neal Sanders; her mother, Ethyl Hunnicut White Tracy; her father, John White; and her stepfather, Marshall Tracy.

Survivors include a son, Robert Marshall Sanders of Clarksdale; three grandchildren, Tracye Heldt of Arlington, Texas, and Jessica Sanders and Matthew Sanders, both of Clarksdale; a great-granddaughter, Mikayla Heldt of Arlington; and other relatives including Patricia Sanders of Clarksdale and Kay Sanders of Arlington.

Services will be at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Fisher-Riles Funeral Home with Dr. John G. McCall officiating. Burial will follow at Green Acres Memorial Cemetery.

Visitation will be from 1 p.m. until the service Wednesday at the funeral home and after the service at the Martha Vick House.

Pallbearers will be David Dabney, Johnny Hadad, Bill Longfellow, Arthur Lagg and Matthew Sanders.

Honorary pallbearers will be Frank Pajerski, Allen Rooke and Dr. Bill Pierce.

Memorials may be made to the Old Court House Museum, 1008 Cherry St., Vicksburg, MS 39183; or the Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation, 1107 Washington St., vicksburg, MS 39183.


ROLLING FORK Lula Babe Newcomb Watson died Monday, April 2, 2001, at Natchez Regional Medical Center. She was 89.

Mrs. Watson was a former resident of Rolling Fork. She was a homemaker and a member of First Baptist Church in Rolling Fork.

She was preceded in death by her husband, J.W. Watson; a son, James Wayne Watson; her parents, six brothers and a sister.

She is survived by a daughter, Betty Patton of Vidalia, La.; a son, Walton “Johnny” Watson of Laurel; a sister, Lanell McGraw of Campbell, Mo.; 10 grandchildren, 17 great-grandchildren and other relatives including William Patton of Vidalia and Glenda Watson of Laurel.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday in Rolling Fork under the direction of Laird Funeral Home in Natchez.