DA cites spurned love in opening of murder trial

Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 4, 2002

A Vicksburg man killed his girlfriend and mother of his child because she tried to break up with him, the prosecutor said Tuesday during the first day of testimony in the trial of Derrell Antonio Green.

In addition to murder, Green, 28, is charged with the kidnap, rape and sexual battery of a Columbus woman who was staying with the girlfriend, Cynthia Green, 24, at 206 Meadow Lane last Dec. 11.

“You will hear a tragic story of the defendant’s desire and ultimate goal to dominate two women,” Assistant District Attorney John Bullard told the jury Tuesday morning.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

The relationship of Cynthia Green and Derrell Green, who shared a last name and a seven-year relationship but were not kin, began to end a month before she was strangled to death, Bullard told the jury.

“Cynthia met another man,” he said. “Derrell knew that but could not accept it.”

The attacks began when Cynthia Green and her friend went in the friend’s car to the Meadow Lane home after 8 p.m. and found Derrell Green there, the alleged rape victim testified. Cynthia Green had lived in the home, which belonged to her mother, but was staying elsewhere with her sister, testimony indicated. Cynthia Green was returning to the Meadow Lane address to retrieve clothes for her 7-month-old daughter by another man, the woman said.

Police had charged Derrell Green with domestic violence twice, including at least once in the days leading up to the killing, Bullard said. And, four days before her death, Cynthia Green had requested a restraining order against Derrell Green, Bullard said.

Walking toward the back of the house to get the clothing, Cynthia Green screamed when she encountered Derrell Green, then reversed her direction, walking backwards as he came at her into the living room, the woman said.

“This bitch is going to die tonight,'” the woman quoted Derrell Green as saying when she asked him not to hurt her friend.

Although she testified in open court, The Vicksburg Post is not identifying the witness because of its policy regarding victims of alleged sex crimes.

The defendant proceeded to slap, punch, kick, stab and choke Cynthia Green while threatening her friend with her life if she moved, according to testimony.

There was also testimony that during the 90 or so minutes after the attacks began, a series of incoming and outgoing phone calls were made among parties including various family members of those involved and the man Cynthia Green had begun seeing. Derrell Green also chased the rape victim as she tried to escape on foot before battering her at knife point and ultimately raping her, she said.

Before leaving the address about 9:30 p.m., Derrell Green collected all telephones in the house and cell phones from the women, taking them with him in a bag when he left, she said. She called 911 from a neighbor’s house, she said.

The prosecution called seven witnesses Tuesday in the trial before Judge Isadore Patrick. Bullard said he expected to call about another six witnesses today.

Defense attorneys Pat McNamara and James “Buck” Penley exercised their right to defer their opening statement until after the prosecution presents its case.

During the woman’s testimony, McNamara pointed out what he said were inconsistencies between the statement she gave the night of the killing and her testimony Tuesday.

The woman responded that her memory was, and would remain, clear on the events.