Garbage found second time at No Dumping’ site on Pearl
Published 12:00 am Friday, December 13, 2002
For the second time in a little more than a year, Vicksburg crews have cleaned up piles of garbage from the same site overlooking the Mississippi River where a “No Dumping” sign warns against litter.
Vicksburg Code Enforcement Officer Wayne Scott signed an affidavit Thursday, and police issued an arrest warrant for Charles Ragsdale, whose last known address was 3420 Washington St., accused of dumping about 200 pounds of construction debris and household garbage at Pearl and Lee streets. Scott said he is looking for a second man believed to have been involved.
A citation was also issued to Alma Hayes, 1208 Second North St., whose garbage was found there, Scott said.
Email newsletter signup
All three face fines up to $1,000 and up to 90 days in jail on misdemeanor charges.
“We will prosecute these to the fullest extent of the law,” said Mayor Laurence Leyens.
Scott said neighbors in the area near Pearl and Lee streets reported more illegal dumping earlier this week. Last year, charges were brought against a former city employee after bags of trash at that same location yielded copies of a driver’s license and paycheck stubs for John Bingham, a former laborer in the city’s water department.
Charges were later dropped against Bingham after Scott missed the court date, but Scott said that will not happen this time. Since then, Bingham has filed a $1 million lawsuit against the city claiming he was wrongly accused.
Like the time before, garbage bags found this week with the mixture of discarded materials from a house remodeling project contained copies of bills connected to Hayes. Hayes told Scott that she paid Ragsdale and another man $110 to haul off the debris and did not know they had not taken it to the Waste Management facility on U.S. 61 South.
The transfer station there charges $15 per truck-load to take garbage to a certified landfill for disposal.
“Based on her story, I signed an affidavit and had an arrest warrant issued,” Scott said.
All three charges will go to the city’s new Community Court created earlier this year to hear zoning and code violations.