St. Al has little trouble disposing of Wingfield

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, January 21, 2003

[1/15/03]For most of the second half Tuesday night against Wingfield, St. Aloysius practiced its passing. The rest of the time, it practiced its scoring.

Michael Head scored three goals, Michael Engle had two goals and two assists, Greg Smith had two assists, and Joe Theobald and Patrick Sadler each had a goal and an assist as St. Al routed Wingfield 11-0.

“It’s a little frustrating. The first time we played them it was 7-0,” Wingfield coach Fred Champion said. “We expected to play a little more defense.”

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Wingfield (3-6) got 16 saves from goal keeper Zerell Gardner, but hardly played any defense in front of him.

The Flashes outshot the Falcons 36-1 in the first half and led 6-0 at halftime. St. Al added four goals in the first 20 minutes of the second half despite simply passing the ball around much of the time before the officials had seen enough.

They called the game after Engle’s second goal, off a rebound of Head’s miss, put the Flashes ahead 10-0.

St. Al’s coaches put the junior varsity into the game and it continued for another 10 minutes before it was finally called.

Bern Ebersole scored off of an assist from Patrick Karel to provide the final margin of victory for the Flashes.

“It was so cold and we were winning by a lot, so they cut it short,” Engle said.

Head helped put the game out of reach early.

He headed in a corner kick from Patrick Sadler about six minutes into the game to put St. Al ahead 1-0, and added two more goals in the next 17 minutes as the Flashes increased the lead to 4-0.

Sadler also scored a goal of his own, off an assist from Jeff Rottman, and Theobald and Daniel Edney scored before the end of the half to make it 6-0.

The Flashes scored on their first two shots of the second half, by goal keeper Andy Gough and Engle, to make it 8-0 about 14 minutes into the half.

It was the first career goal for Gough, who started the second half in the field and left the game after scoring. Engle blooped a pass over the defense, and Gough simply ran into the ball to knock it into the goal.

“No, no, that’s not how it happened at all. I skillfully placed it into the side of the net to cap off a skillful run by me,” Gough said with a laugh.

Charles Waring also had a goal for St. Al, which will travel to St. Andrew’s next Tuesday for a game that will decide the Division 4-1A-2A-3A runnerup and a playoff berth.