Newborn delivered by grandmother at home

Published 12:00 am Thursday, October 2, 2003

BKaye Thomas, left, and her daughter, LaToya Warren, are all smiles as they talk about the new addition to their family, Kayelynn Latriece Warren, Wednesday at River Region Medical Center. Thomas had helped her daughter deliver the baby girl just before paramedics arrived at their home on Harrison Street earlier in the day. (Melanie Duncan ThortisThe Vicksburg Post)

(10/02/03)When Kayelynn Latriece Warren wanted to make an entrance, she did it her way and on her own schedule.

The newborn arrived Wednesday at about 9:15 a.m. get this in her grandmother’s home.

Email newsletter signup

Sign up for The Vicksburg Post's free newsletters

Check which newsletters you would like to receive
  • Vicksburg News: Sent daily at 5 am
  • Vicksburg Sports: Sent daily at 10 am
  • Vicksburg Living: Sent on 15th of each month

Kayelynn wasn’t expected to arrive until Nov. 3, so when her mother, LaToya Warren, 24, awoke with some aches and pains, she didn’t think much of it.

But after about an hour, the pains got increasingly worse, and Warren’s mom, BKaye Thomas, decided it was time to head to the delivery room.

“I told her I thought we should go to the hospital, and she said she didn’t think she’d make it there,” Thomas said.

Thomas called 911 and the dispatcher, Lisa Buchanan, helped guide the mother and grandmother through the birth.

“Before the grandmother could finish telling me about a contraction, the mother was having another….There was nothing else we could do,” Buchanan said. “The baby was in her arms at the same time rescue and ambulance pulled up.”

This is how Thomas explains it: “I held out both of my hands, and there she was. I said, She’s here! It’s a girl! She’s here!”

Kayelynn didn’t cry at first, giving her mother and grandmother a scare.

But when paramedics and rescue officials took over, “She gave out one big scream,” Warren said.

And Warren and Thomas were relieved calling the emergency officials their “miracle.”

“I went in my room and said, Lord, instead of coming to you and asking you for something, I’m just going to thank you that the baby’s OK.'”

Kayelynn weighed 4 pounds, 4 ounces and was 18 inches long. She and her mother were doing fine at River Region Medical Center.